CPVC in a slab foundation?

Anyone ever see this? How & why? Fittings aren’t usually recommended under slabs, correct?
All of the other plumbing was contained in the walls, except for these vantiy, toilet, and hose bib supplies.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

I would not say it is an ideal installation. There are other types of pipe that could have been used. In the event that pipe breaks there is no room to put on a new 90

I can’t think of anything that prohibits CPVC under slab. However the pipes should have been wrapped to prevent direct contact with the concrete. I can’t tell from your photo whether or not that was done.

Why should they be wrapped concrete does not attack plastic, plastic is generally what sleeves are made of???

2009 IRC P2603.3 Breakage and corrosion. Pipes passing through or
under walls shall be protected from breakage. **Pipes passing
through concrete or cinder walls and floors, cold-formed steel
framing or other corrosive material shall be protected against
external corrosion by a protective sheathing or wrapping or
other means that will withstand any reaction from lime and acid
of concrete, cinder or other corrosive material. Sheathing or
wrapping shall allow for movement including expansion and
contraction of piping. **Minimum wall thickness of material
shall be 0.025 inch (0.64 mm).

**Code Commentary: **Metallic pipes made of brass, copper, cast iron and
steel are subject to corrosion when exposed to lime
and acid contained in concrete, cinder or other corrosive
material such as soil. Protective sheathing having
a minimum thickness of 0.025 inch (0.64 mm) must be
placed over the piping before installing it in these corrosive
environments. The protective coating will act as
a barrier as well as allow the piping to expand and contract.
Section P2603.3 requires pipes passing through
or under walls to be protected from breakage. The following
two sections describe the means for such
protection.

Joe,

I think you will find this interesting. because almost all residetal construction here in Florida is slab on grade the florida building commision wrote an exception to the above ICC code article that you posted
FBCR chapter 26
P2603.3
Exception: Sleeving is not required for installation of CPVC in concrete or similar material

Same in Oklahoma we have tons of slab on grade foundations and PVC and or Cpvc is never wrapped or sleeved only metal piping

We wrap PEX here in the Carolinas.

Pex gets wrapped here as well. it will be interesting if in the next cade cycle the FBC writes an exemption for pex as well because pex really wasn’t being used that much when the current FBC was being developed

CPVC or PVC is not mentioned.???

Florida** Supplement to the 2009 IPC**

305.1 Corrosion. Change to read as shown. Need to be resolved.
FBC
**305.1 Corrosion. **Pipes passing through concrete or cinder walls and floors or other corrosive material shall be protected against external corrosion by a protective sheathing or wrapping or other means that will withstand any reaction from the lime and acid of concrete, cinder or other corrosive material. Sheathing or wrapping shall allow forexpansion and contraction of piping. Minimum wall thickness of material shall be 0.010 inch (0.64 mm).

**Exception: **Sleeving is not required for installation of CPVC into concrete or similar material.

I require them to be wrapped in Clover, SC. Come and argue with me. :mrgreen:

I guess I’d lose that one. :smiley:

Ok we are not dealing with corrosion but if no space is allowed around the pipe and there is shifting of the slab it might break the pipe. I think it ought to be sleeved regardless. The code doesn’t address the plumbers sticking an expansion tank supported only by cpvc either. I write that up all the time… it’s not a code inspection.

In this area we have been using CPVC since the mid 90’s with joints under the slab. We had one jurisdiction that made an issue about sleeving the pipe when they penetrated the concrete but the manufacturer provide information to the state that it was Okay without the sleeve. Never had any problem after that.

On the other hand, if it goes through a footing, it has to have a sleeve with a pipe 2 sizes larger to prevent breakage.

Actually, no one uses CPVC around here anymore. 100% PEX these days.