Crawlspace?

Originally Posted By: jrapp
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I looked at a home with a friend today that had some type of concrete or block type foundation, but I found no access and there are no vents. This home was built in 1945.It also only showed about 1 inch above the ground. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what this is, crawlspace,slab?

Originally Posted By: jmurphy1

Around here the typical way to enter a crawl space is through the garage. Although there are some homes with a door on the outside of the house.

Some homes have a trap door beneath carpet in a bedroom closet.

I looked at a home recently where the owner had installed a large permanent entertainment center cabinet in front of the crawl space hatch.

Originally Posted By: jmurphy1

This was in a tri level home and in the lower level family room

Originally Posted By: dedwards

Sounds like a raised slab. Block foundation walls, backfilled with soil and then poured with concrete. If only one inch showing it isn’t much of a crawlspace.

Originally Posted By: roconnor

To get an indication of the type of floor, bounce on it near the middle. No flex at all and it’s probably slab on grade, and some flex would indicate framing over a crawl space.

I assume you mean only 1" of the block foundation is visible from the outside (siding clearance to grade). I would be concerned about the siding if it's wood or stucco, and I would also be concerned about the clearance of the sill plate to grade.

You need to first determine the floor type, so you also have an indication of where the sill plate is relative to the floor and grade. I have seen vinyl siding extended down below sill plates up high in order to cover the foundation wall, but that can usually be picked up.

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

Tapping or walking on it should tell. A Structural Engineer once told me, that if it bounces, it is a good sign of proper design, if it dose'nt, you need to pay attention. Hope it is concrete at this point.
Look into the area construction techniques for that area for those years, that might help you at least get an idea as to what it should be, and go from there.

Marcel