cross-connection?

Originally Posted By: lwilliams
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Could you guys(gals) look at this picture, I am not sure the dishwasher has been properly plumbed into the system. Your thoughts?

[img]http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/179 Pike Rd Langdale.JPG[/img]

Should I be concerned about cross-connection?

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Lisa,

Re-name your photo by taking out the spaces (or replacing them with underscores).

179PikeRdLangdale.JPG
or
179_Pike_Rd_Langdale.JPG

Then upload the photo again.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Thanks Jerry,

Okay all same info as above with another pic

Hope it worked this time.

icon_redface.gif oops one more time…

icon_redface.gif one more time again, I think I found the problem

Please ignore the last three posts, I apologize for taking up the space. This is what I want you all to look at and comment on. icon_redface.gif

Originally Posted By: mrose

Hi Lisa,

A cross connection is defined as: A condition where water from the DWV (drain waste vent) system can be siphoned back into the supply system.

The dishwasher drain connection is connected to the end of the trap arm

The DWV has an air admittance valve "Studor type valve" installed, which is correct.

There is no way back siphoning could occur.

The plumber provided a very neat installation.

Best regards,

--
Mike Rose
Cornerstone Home Inspection Co. LLC
Lawrenceville, GA

www.cornerstonehomeinspect.com

Originally Posted By: rking

Is it just my eyes or the angle of the picture that makes the connection between the two sinks look like it is sloped backwards (toward the left of the picture)???

If it does have even a slight slope backwards that is a potential problem waiting to happen.

And up here in Ontario, automatic vents are not permitted in any application, so I would have to write that up as "improper venting termination. I recommend a qualified contractor to investigate further"

--
Muskoka Home Inspections
"Wisdom is the Anticipation of the Consequences"
Steering Committee Member At Large

Originally Posted By: rpalac

Here in the states there is a movement for all municipalities to adopt the International code. The air admittance valve is acceptable under that code. However, I believe it must be higher than the flood plain level. Any comments please.

(and yes...I thought that the drain was tilted the wrong direction and then did a double take to see if it was the picture ....it appears to have a negative fall.)

Bob P.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

The AAVs that I’ve seen are required to be 4" above the weir of the trap, and that looks too low.

The horizontal line does look reverse sloped to me too.

The dishwasher drain line also does not (at least it is not likely to, based on the photo) have a high loop over the dishwasher as most require, thus, any backing up in the drain will likely backup into the dishwasher.

The dishwasher should also either enter through the side of a vertical tail piece (they make fittings just for that) or through a wye (not a sanitary tee) in the horizontal line, and the existing sanitary tee in the horizontal line should be a wye. Sanitary tees are made for use in vertical pipes, like the right one.

That's a good start, I think.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Thank you for your feedback All, yes the drain pipe is sloping the wrong way, confirmed with a level. I also was under the impression the pipe for the dishwasher needs to be above the drain from the sink. I am still learning tech terms. You have all confirmed my thoughts “it ain’t quite right”. icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted By: jpope

either an “air-gap” or a “high-loop,” never directly.

Jeff Pope

JPI Home Inspection Service

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Dittos with Jerry and Jeff. The tailpiece will ideally be manufactured to accept a dishwasher connection.

The BOCA vent placement is also a little questionable.

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Originally Posted By: roconnor

RP ? your right that the IRC (P3104 & P3114) allows an AAV for individual fixture or stack vents, as long as there is at least one main vent thru the roof. Also the individual AAV should be 4? above a branch drain, but needs to be 6? above the flood level rim for stack venting (P3114.4).

I?m assuming that AAV is on a branch vent that ties into a separate main stack vent somewhere below. Otherwise it would have to be 6? above the flood level of the highest fixture.

Good eyes Jerry ? I prob wouldn?t have noticed that tee used where it should be a Wye ? ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong