CSST Class Action

http://www.pddocs.com/csst/faq.aspx

What is the Class Action about?

The lawsuit claims that CSST poses an unreasonable risk of fire due to lightning strikes. Plaintiffs allege that the CSST tubing is not thick enough to prevent damage to the CSST in the event of a lightning strike and that Defendants failed to warn consumers about these alleged dangers.
The Settling Defendants deny these allegations and assert that their CSST is safe if properly installed in accordance with local codes and the manufacturers’ instructions.

http://www.pddocs.com/csst/images/connectors_05.jpg

Is there more than one brand of CSST involved?

Yes. The CSST installed on your property may have been manufactured by Titeflex, Ward, OmegaFlex, or Parker Hannifin.

Titeflex’s CSST is stamped with the mark “GASTITE.”

Ward’s CSST is stamped with the mark “WARDFLEX.”

OmegaFlex’s CSST is stamped with the marks “TRACPIPE” or “COUNTERSTRIKE.”

Parker Hannifin’s CSST is stamped with the mark “PARFLEX.”

Thanks for that link. Interesting.

Thanks Joe,

I wonder how many instances there are of this tubing being affected by lightening?

Regards

Gerry

That was … en-lightning :slight_smile:

Thank you Mr. Hagarty. I appreciate you taking the time to post this info.

Interesting indeed. It appears the real issue is with the installation methods. Proper bonding of the system is the apparent remedy.

In my area (Los Angeles County), based on our LDZ, consumers will be allotted $200 (for a home less than 3000 sq ft) toward the purchase and installation of a lightning protection system.

I will be preparing a new narrative for my report system to include this information. Thanks Joe.

FWIW - CSST has not been approved for use in CA although many local jurisdictions are allowing it by “special permission.”

I just inspected a home today that was LOADED with this Gastite yellow hose…

I see the ‘yellow hose’ every week.

Comments on this proposed narrative?

“A gas piping system called CSST is present in this home. CSST is used to transmit gas in residential, commercial and industrial structures. CSST consists of a continuous, flexible, stainless steel pipe, and typically is covered with a yellow exterior plastic coating. In the case of one of the products manufactured by OmegaFlex, called “COUNTERSTRIKE,” the product is covered with a black exterior coating with yellow lettering. CSST typically is routed beneath, through and alongside floor joists, inside interior wall cavities and on top of ceiling joists in attic space from a gas source to an appliance. CSST does not include gas-appliance connectors (e.g., a connector that runs from a gas outlet to an appliance). Titeflex’s CSST product is known as “GASTITE,” Ward’s CSST product is known as “WARDFLEX,” OmegaFlex’s CSST is known as “TRACPIPE” or “COUNTERSTRIKE,” and Parker Hannifin’s CSST product is known as “PARFLEX.” Typically, these products may be visible along floor joists, above basements, in attic spaces, or connected to exposed appliances such as water heaters. The piping should be stamped with a manufacturer’s mark. We may not attempt to identify the type of CSST present and more than one brand may be involved.”

“A lawsuit claims that CSST poses an unreasonable risk of fire due to lightning strikes. The plaintiffs allege that the CSST tubing is not thick enough to prevent damage to the CSST in the event of a lightning strike and that manufacturers failed to warn consumers about these alleged dangers. The manufacturers deny these allegations and assert that their CSST is safe if properly installed in accordance with local codes and the manufacturers’ instructions. Nevertheless, the lawsuit was settled and affects any and all persons and/or entities who own structures in the United States in which CSST manufactured by the Settling Defendants was installed as of September 5, 2006. We take no position on the lawsuit and may not determine whether the CSST observed in this residence is covered by the lawsuit. You should trace the CSST in this home and determine the manufacturer for yourself. We recommend that you read the details of the lawsuit and settlement, which can be viewed at: http://www.pddocs.com/csst/faq.aspx#

Let me ask a some general questions here.

Can we possibly be aware of all the potential recalls and lawsuits against products that may be in our clients homes?

While I believe we should limit our liablility by careful and informed report writing, just how far should we go?

Any and all comments and discussion welcome.
Inquiring minds want to know. :slight_smile:

Here’s an old article on this topic in a suburb of Dallas, TX

http://www.selectinspect.com/pdf/FRISCO%20Gas%20pipe%20ban.pdf

I was in contact with Gastite and Frisco Building Dept. during these investigations.

It was found in all cases the cause was improper bonding and lightning protection.

Once this was and is accomplished there have been no further incidences documented in Frisco and CSST systems are being installed today, in my market anyway.

JDF,

You may need to revise your statement not all are covered please read the bold:

Who is covered by the Proposed Settlement?

The Settlement Class consists of any and all persons and/or entities who own structures in the United States in which CSST manufactured by Settling Defendants was installed as of September 5, 2006 (“Settlement Class Members”).

The following persons are excluded from the Settlement Class: a) persons and/or entities who timely opt-out of this proceeding following the directions for opting-out established by the Court; b) any and all federal, state, and/or local governments, including, but not limited to, their departments, agencies, divisions, bureaus, boards, sections, groups, counsels and/or subdivisions; c) any currently sitting Arkansas state court judges and/or justices and/or any persons within the third degree of consanguinity (blood relationship) to such judges and/or justices; d) Settling Defendants; e) Plaintiffs’ Counsel and their immediate families; and f) any person or entity who as of September 5, 2006, has an individual personal injury, product liability or subrogation lawsuit pending against any of the Settling Defendants in which injury or damage is alleged to have occurred as a result of a failure of CSST resulting from an actual or near lightning strike.

Dead Link.

You do not have permission to access http://www.selectinspect.com/pdf/FRISCO%20Gas%20pipe%20ban.pdf

Worked OK for me as a right click -save target as- but here it is anyway.

FRISCO Gas pipe ban.pdf (172 KB)

Here is my version of the narrative:

I like it Brian.

I left that out intentionally. The narrative is already very long. I pointed them to the website for more information. It’s not my job to recite the lawsuit to them (that was my thinking). I’d like to shorten it even more if anyone has a better idea.

I would change the word transmit to distribute. Picky, but a litle more accurate. (Maybe that’s why my reports take hours to write!).

Thanks Joe H. for posting the link.

I hope you got to read the Frisco article. I’ll drop it to your e-mail.

JDF,

Here’s mine.

• A gas piping system called Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing (CSST) is present in this home.
  • Please read the CSST Settlement as relevant and necessary for the completion of this portion of your report.
    *]I advise further evaluation by a licensed electrician and any necessary safety enhancements regarding the proper grounding, bonding, and or lightning protection of this particular installation.

Fine with me. The original description I posted came from the settlement website–I used their wording.

Got it. Thanks.