Damaged insulation

Thoughts??

Looks like someone was too aggressive with the NM sheath stripper.

Jeffery,

What size wire are we looking at? Looks like 12 AWG, but the zoom a throwing me off.

Is the spiral line further back from the line another cut or possible manufacturer anomaly? Could be as simple as opening up the NM sheathing with an aggressive razor knife.

10AWG

I’m not losing sleep over it.

I’m absolutely not either, Chuck. I see this every now and then, and thought it would make for good (?) conversation… something a newbie will eventually see, and I don’t remember ever seeing it discussed on this MB.

Here’s what some Sparky’s have to say… https://www.electriciantalk.com/f2/clear-coat-thhn-question-67340/

1 Like

I agree with Chuck, unless there is copper showing it’s not an issue.

1 Like

Ok, as not much experience as an inspector but enough experience with hands on I would not call anything out since it seems to me as if it is just the clear plastic coating over the insulation. But IF IT WAS cut through to the copper I would make mention of it. The 30amp double pole breaker located in slot #3 has a hot wire with a slice in the wires insulation and is a safety issue for anybody doing work behind the electric panel cover, I recommend a licensed electrician for repair. How would you grade that in a report? If that is a 30 amp breaker I could not really read it through the picture but just assuming because the wire was 10 gauge

Yes, 30 amp.
Seeing as the 111 year old home had multiple other electrical concerns requiring an electrician for correction, I made comment of the observed condition, and recommended the electrician evaluate and correct as he determined necessary. Basically, it’s all on him/her.

The clear nylon is mostly for chemical resistance and ease of pulling. In case of sheathed NM, and being inside a residential enclosure, no big deal at all.

2 Likes

Jeffrey is your photo a 100amp panel or 150amp? I was sent this photo the other day and asked if this was 100 or 150, I told the guy it was just an educated guess but 150amp. Is there a way I would know from that photo if I was right at saying it was 150 amp?

240 volt distribution panel .

I would have guessed 200 amps based on the size of the SEC’s.

1 Like

Good point with the SEC size! I made my judgement off of how many breaker slots there are. I am in Ohio and the house was built I believe he said in the mid-80s, how popular was 200 amp panels in the 80s?

That wouldn’t work.
Why do you need to know?
Just askin’.

About a year ago I had somebody call me and say they would randomly have their power shut off and turn back on at random times throughout the day. So after a few electricians diagnosed it the one guy figured out the main shut off breaker was going bad which was only affecting the right strip of breakers. So this guy called me the other day and it sounded like he was losing power to different circuits that were not even tied together in anyway. So I told him he would need to get a hold of a licensed electrician to figure out what he needs done, But just told him what I have seen in the past. Then the homeowner asked me how many amps is his panel size, and I felt I should have been able to answer him confidently.

Time for electrical course refreshment :smiley:

Definitely always need refreshed in any course! As of right now refreshing my egress knowledge and attic and insulation and ventilation. Could I ask what was wrong in my last post, so I know how to correct myself or focus on better when I get back to the electrical course.

I don’t know how many amps the damn thing is. And I would never try to guess . I would tell the client that. In my report I usually just call them distribution panels.
This is a subpanel I presume correct?

This is his main and only panel not a sub-panel