DANGER Solar Backfeed

I’ve not yet inspected a home with solar and saw this posted at the main breaker panel. What the heck does it mean? Advise on comment would be a big help. Thanks!

IMG.jpg

It means if you disconnect the feed wires from the back-fed breaker that they are still hot.

OK, I see. Thanks for your comment.

Solar systems are becoming more and more common in SoCal. Basically, you need to treat the solar “feed” just as you would with the utility company’s feed - it’s always hot.

So, a back-fed breaker from the solar equipment is no different than the service breaker of the equipment, meaning, you have two separate supply sources, both of which have the ability to provide enough current to kill you.

Keep in mind that if this breaker is fed from the output (AC) inverter to a grid interactive system the terminals on the breaker are pulled away from the busbar the terminals will not be live. Assuming this is a residential grid utility interactive system then no fasteners are required but markings and locations of the CB must meet article 705.12(D)(5) and (6).

I have an 8,000 solar collector and my system is set up to feed to the grid ,I am paid for what produces .
The system require a feed from the grid to generate power .
Grid goes down and my system shuts in a very short time .

I just inspected a home yesterday with solar power. This is the way it should be labeled.

Just a few more pictures from yesterday’s inspection.
:smiley:

1 Like

[QUOTE=dhays;1057277
I just inspected a home yesterday with solar power. This is the way it should be labeled.[/QUOTE]

Yes mine is very similar except no animals ,very nice to see thanks

David - see those critters all the time up here. Call them 'mountain rats". Can’t keep flowers in bloom more than a few days because of them. :wink:

Where have you been Greg? Haven’t seen you in awhile, hope all is well!

Solar systems are becoming more and more typical in SoCal. Generally, you need to cure the solar “feed” just as you would with the application organization’s nourish - it’s always hot. So, a back-fed buster from the solar devices is no different than the support buster of the devices, significance, you have two individual offer resources, both of which have the capability to offer enough present to destroy you.