Deck step landings

Does IRC R311.7.5 cover decks as well. It does not specify outside or in. The specific county i am dealing with has no documentation with this in the deck constructon section.

The stairs don’t require a landing at the bottom, but the wood in contact with the ground is an issue.

How about spindle gap also looks over 4 inches to me

Typically around here they would install the stringers to a 2x12 on the ground for small 3-4 riser stairs.
Bigger stairs might be with a landing or a concret pad at the bottom.

I found this in my documents, don’t know where.

Exterior stairs.jpg:slight_smile:

Since the bottom tread does not match the top by 3/8 it is a tripping hazard.
That being said it is onto the nice soft grass so the only thing that can happen is they twist there ankle or jar the heel from the distance change.
Nice diagram Marcel!

Shovel would fix that.
That is a nice image. Thanks Marcel.

So are the posts which are allowed to be in the soil here. Both are pressure treated.

The difference is???

Sean I will let you think about that one for a bit.
A shovel would not fix this: Why?

Yes, I’m quite sure Mr. Know It All just ask me will enlighten you Sean. :roll:

Isn’t he gracious letting you think about it? :roll: :roll:

OK since Sean is not available and Michael is ready anyone can answer.

I’m ready KEVIN. This should be good ;-):stuck_out_tongue:

Just curious Sean. Is the way you write your reports based on what’s allowed in the specific county, or city?

No I generally base it on past experience of what I actually see instead of what someone trys to tell me. I try using common sense and past observations.

personaly I virtually never find a set of step that is not rotted at the base without other more significant defects present. Thst doesnt mean I dont call them out, it was just an example.

Address your concerns to your client and let them decide.

Let me also say from a builders standpoint that this is common.
The grade against the foundation must be 1:10…this itself will create
an issue unless your going to pour concrete which most builders are not going
to do unless required.

There is also the likelihood that more dirt was brought in to ensure proper drainage…dirt settles over time so no one knows for sure what happened here.

As to the deviation from one step to another…yes the code states…blah, blah, blah
but are you going to call it out in a garage too…you know the builder slopes the concrete there as well and it will create a deviation within the bottom of the step itself from one side to the other.

Me personally this is a not an issue I would put in my summary page…possibly the body of the report but not the summary page.

That steps are fairly new so yes the top tread should match the bottom as is illustrated by Marcel’s Picture. You can’t correct the grade as was pointed out by Jeffrey L so the only correction can be to modifying the existing.
As for the deviation it is meant to apply to the steps not the ground platform.

I would not address it.

Scenario.

The person buys the Home and decides to put a nice fresh walkway right beside the stairs. A child falls through at the top of the stairs and lands on his head. Joe who do you think will get sued?
The Home Inspector.
The person who built the stairs.
The person installing the walkway.
The client because he put in the walkway around the stairs.

KEVIN, you’re an ______.

I can’t tell the future and neither can you.

We can play conjecture all day.

Our job is to report what we find and let our client decide how important it is not imagine the future.

Sir Isaac Newton for failing to point out the hazards of gravity.

P.S. if they had left it grassy, maybe the dumb kid would not have hurt his head.

P.S.S. What does your scenario have to do with whether or not a landing is present at the bottom of the stairs?

Kevin and Roy can tell the future .
Michael will again attack a Canadian Home Inspector and will again be factious .
.I would love to be wrong but please do not place any bets .