Deck

Originally Posted By: dmack
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/1/11-4-05mmack_0251.jpg ]

Originally Posted By: lewens

David

If you have any more pictures it would be helpful. It is too hard to ascertain the extent of the cantelever from one picture. We can’t tell if the extreme right hand of the picture goes back to the wall or exactaly what is happening.

Larry

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

I agree with Larry, need another picture.

How is the support post/column attached to the deck?

How is the post/column attached at the ground?

Sorry about that. No more pictures. The canterlever is about two feet long, however the double rim is attached and runs about six feet to the next post.

I could not see how the post is secured to the footing. The deck is attached to the post with 16D nails. The rims are attached to each other with 3-16D nails.

Originally Posted By: dedwards

Sure looks like a lot of deck to be supported by one lonely support post. I realize this is a narrow shot but this looks like a pretty substantial sized deck and a considerable amount of weight. Noticed the absence of joist hangers although I see this myself quite often.(I always point it out). As stated, its difficult to lend any real assesment with only one picture. My perspective, yours may differ.

Originally Posted By: lkage

Is the rim joist that is above the 6x6 post a single?

It looks like, from what we can see it the limited pic, that the appropriate location for the post would be under the rim joint along with hangers and a double rim joist.

Originally Posted By: jrooff

It would appear that there is no support on the far right of this deck. Typically when we build a deck in these parts we would pull the 4x4 post back 2 ft and attach 2 2x8 bolted to post (1 2x8 on each side of 4x4) for the stringer. This would span across and support the deck and the double rim joist on the far right. Joist hangers would be nice to see also.

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

All good info. David if I did the inspection and the deck appeared to me to be an “after market add on”, I would suggest that the client check for building permits. Poorly built decks can be a real hazard.

Originally Posted By: twheeler

First of all, the square footage of the deck would be useful information, x_=________sq/ft.

Secondly, just by a pic. alone, the double joist and the double rim board should be supported by the post. I also see no joist hangers.

But without proper information, its only speculation based on the information provided.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/A/A7EE1983.jpg ]

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/1/11-4-05mmack_003.jpg ]

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/C/Copy_of_11-4-05mmack_002.jpg ]

Originally Posted By: ccoombs

I would suggest ?further evaluation by an engineer? or something similar that is appropriate for your area.

It looks like the main structural member for this deck is the rim joist. At the cantilevered portion it looks like the double rim joist is ?slipping? down. If I?m not mistaken the double rim joist carries the stair stringers (or are they stair horses?).

I would consider this deck a life/safety issue?..and that isn?t considering the fact you are dealing with the possibility of snow loads.

Good catch!

Originally Posted By: dedwards

After seeing these new pics I do not see a true “cantilevered” deck. I may be missing it but all the cantilevered decks I have ever been around have supports that are “set back” from the outside rim or edge of the deck. I do however see now even more than before I am convinced there isn’t enough supports under the deck. I do see some joist hangers installed along the ledger next to the house. I could not see how the ledger board was attached. Primarily if it was attached with lag bolts or as is often the case “drywall” screws, indiscriminately run through the ledger into the siding (not a good method or idea). I do see where screens have been added to the side railings to prevent a small child from slipping through but it doesn’t go all the way around. There is a wide section left open. The spacing on the balusters appears to be significantly greater than the required 4 inch spacing. The long set of steps is supported at the bottom and again at the top without any support in the center of the stair stringers where it is the weakest. I added this website for a good source for decks. Hope this helps

http://buildingcodes.jocogov.org/documents/Deck%20Book.pdf

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

I’m with Doug. I don’t see any canti-levered portion of the deck.

When joist hangers are absent on the outside edge, it's a good bet, but not one I'd put in the report, that the joists are end nailed from the outisde of the rim joist into the floor joist.

See page 4 re cantilevering.

http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuilding/pdf/Deck-Joist%20Layout.pdf

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: dandersen

Balusters spacing?

Originally Posted By: srowe

Welcome David!

The first picture says a lot but the others say more. I am with Doug on this as well. If you look at the first picture again it looks like someone may have mis-calculated the dimensions of the deck. There are double-joists and rim joists but the post is about 1' over from there. This appears to be a rather simple fix (for a licensed contractor).

Also, no digs meant, but be sure to run a spell check on "canterlever". (cantilever)

Good luck and let us know what happens!

Originally Posted By: psisler

David,

As a decking and siding contractor in CA this deck would not fly. As others have mentioned here, the deck has no cantilever. The double boards are a rim joist and facia. The 6x6 posts are installed incorrectly with no uplift protection, the joists as well. There should be a girder for the outside of the joists to rest on where the 6x6 post could be attached with an AC4 or PC44 hanger (depending on the code in your area). The joists appear to be of sufficient size to support the load of the deck but without the girder for support the deck is dangerous...period. I would definately call it out to have a licensed contractor and/or engineer look at this hyandyman special soon. There are several other items on the deck that need to be addressed as well like already mentioned balister spacing and the stringers as well.

Patrick

Originally Posted By: ccoombs

I took another look and couldn’t believe the stair stringers. They are over notched and have just a couple of inches left. When I run calculations I require a minimum of 7" between the notch and the bottom of the stringer…and this can only span about 8’. Anything longer needs an int. support or a larger stringer.

The balusters spacing didn't jump out at me....but after a second look.... I can calculate balusters spaced at 6' to 8' on center if I have a heavy double machine bolted connection to a beam or double deck joist. But I didn't see any thing like that.

Originally Posted By: bjones1

up here, we’re considered to be a bunch of hicks, but if any of our Building Inspectors saw this, the sheeet would hit the fan. This whole deck is a disaster in waiting. No beam, Improper span, Improper railing height, Improper spacing of ballusters, the length of the stairs call for support underneath. methinks the builder better go back to school. IMO

Thanks for all your replies. The steps in front felt like a trampoline. All these issues (that were posted) were addressed in the report. Live and learn.