Multiple deck

Originally Posted By: jcote
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/D/Deck.JPG ]

Originally Posted By: dspencer

From the photo shown no Neg structural comments can be made. With this is mind I would hope you have better photos. When a problem is found you should cover yourself with very accurate photos…many as needed… I would comment stairs need railing icon_wink.gif

Originally Posted By: jrivera

I agree with Darren and I would also recommend some weed killer.

![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

there apears to be a 4x4 directly under the b.b.q, and that is properly secured to a poured column which we can only assume is deep enough. the distance from that support to the other deck it is working with, seems to also be adaquate. I see no issue at all. icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted By: Steven Brewster

Are the stairs being supported totally by those door hinges?

Railings would be helpful but are not required on steps with less than three or less risers. IRC R311.5.6.

wow i missed the hinges. i zoomed in and saw them. looks like some attempt a folding stairs to mow the lawn??? icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted By: dspencer

Steven Brewster wrote:
Are the stairs being supported totally by those door hinges?

Railings would be helpful but are not required on steps with less than three or less risers. IRC R311.5.6.

My area requires railing for two or more...Check your local code before going with the IRC. Also don't foget to Check for every City you inspect in, they differ.

Thank you for your comments

Originally Posted By: dandersen

Jay Moge wrote:
there apears to be a 4x4 directly under the b.b.q, and that is properly secured to a poured column which we can only assume is deep enough. the distance from that support to the other deck it is working with, seems to also be adaquate. I see no issue at all. ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

Around here, you're lucky if you can see the poured footing!

poured footing around here are not less than 5 feet because of the frost, that my concern one is just sitting on some cement slab, it will move lifting the other deck in the process

Jcote. it may be your concern, but it’s not your problem. your not gonna dig up any loom to check the depth of a footing in any case, an if you could see the whole thing then it’s already gone. hey i hate walking away from a conundrum too, but some times we have to. icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted By: jlybolt

JCote, I cant really tell by the picture, but it seems those stairs are really steep. Did you wright them up? From the picture it looks like the risers height is not appropriate. Just wondering?

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif

Deja vue', where, it will come to me.

Marcel

Originally Posted By: rcooke

jcote wrote:
poured footing around here are not less than 5 feet because of the frost, that my concern one is just sitting on some cement slab, it will move lifting the other deck in the process

Just to give some perspective to our American friends .
I live in Brighton Ontario Canada . Just across the lake from Rochester NY.
Jeannot Lives in Smooth Rock Falls Ontario.
He is about the same distance from me as Philadelphia is from Jacksonville .

--
Roy Cooke Sr.

http://Royshomeinspection.com

Originally Posted By: wdecker

Decks should not rest on slabs, but have posts and/or joists that rest on concrete footings that estend below the frost line.

Will Decker

Decker Home Services

Skokie, IL 60076

wjd@DeckerHomeServices.com

Originally Posted By: sbailey1

Hey guys,

what about the contact with the ground from the railing to the ground for wood destroying insects? icon_redface.gif icon_redface.gif

Originally Posted By: kelliott

Well, if you’re going to get into WDI, and wood to ground contact, you’d have to say something about all that lattice too, right?

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

Jeanot;

I have read and looked at the picture you supplied, and believe you have received some good comments. Although, some questions remain unanswered, but I am sure you covered yourself in your report.

A few comments on what I saw in that picture and by all means I do not mean to be negative to others comments.

It is apparent to me that this deck was built by a homeowner, showing signs of poor workmanship and railing design.

A 2" x 4" rail support down to grade to give it lateral stability is not quite adequate to provide or meet the 200 # test.

The risers on the lower deck appear to be at least 9". The Residential Code mandates 7".

The hinge support of the stairs, shows the inability to provide the proper framing support for them as the lattice work was installed behind with no framing support for the stairs provided.

This area mandates handrails on three risers or more.

Lattice work was not kept up at least two inches above grade to compensate for frost action as your area is prone too. Evidence of this are the few missing lattice.

The higher deck is supported on concrete sono tubes and the deck support beam appears to cantilever over the lower deck that you say is on a slab. Was their another support off the slab to support that beam? It is not visible in that picture. The last 4"x4" support post appears to be out of plumb considerably, but this might be the picture.

What was that 4" +/- pipe coming out from below the deck? Dryer exhaust?

More pictures would help.

Hope this helps.

Marcel