Decks vs. Porches

Hello all, I am just wondering if there is a specific definition of a porch… I’ve attempted to look through the material but have been unsuccessful thus far. I understand a deck is a structure with it’s own support system that may/may not be attached to the home. Just wanting to refine my report more and realized I couldn’t find a solid definition.

A porch is a covered vestibule over a entry doorway.

1 Like

A “Porch” is much closer to a “Stoop” than it is a “Deck”, but I have seen many homes that use a ‘Deck’ for a ‘Porch’ without the appearance of it being a ‘Stoop’! :wink:

1 Like

Many porches, especially older homes, will have tongue and groove floorboards. The floor generally slopes away from the house. Restorations can find pressure treated tongue and groove floorboards for porches. As mentioned, porches often have roofs and many have columns from short walls instead of guardrails. Older homes often used lattice to enclose the storage area under the porch. It is mostly a design / appearance difference.

2 Likes

Porches have decks…,…

and usually landings.

The top image is a good example of a deck (no handrails). The second is a good example of a porch.

1 Like

Or a Veranda!

1 Like

Just when I thought I had a handle on this :thinking:

3 Likes

I will take a Lanai as they are usually in Hawaii where they are mentioned.

1 Like

2021-10-22_165343

2 Likes

That top one looks like a combo porch/deck…:slight_smile:

1 Like

I find it can depend on what part of the country you are from. In GA the common vernacular; decks, patios, covered patios, covered porches or stoops. We reserve veranda for the big front porches which are common on our craftsman style older homes. What typically seals the deal for the report is location. Front stoop, rear patio etc.

1 Like