Deleted POST

Originally Posted By: bsumpter
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Deleted POST

[/url] ]

--
"In the fields of observation, chance favors only the mind that is prepared"

Louis Pasteur

Originally Posted By: bking

deleted due to orig. question being deleted

www.BAKingHomeInspections.com

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

The wiring type on this property is 2 wire with no grounding conductor.

The panel appears to be an up-grade installed around 30 years ago.

regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

icon_biggrin.gif

icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif

icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif

Just received the information I needed!

Thanks ALL!!!

NACHI is the BEST!!!!

--
"In the fields of observation, chance favors only the mind that is prepared"

Louis Pasteur

Originally Posted By: ddivito

Square-D breakers are the only residential breakers that are designed to be double-tapped.

Square-D G/N busbars are usually bonded to the enclosure by a screw, not a strap. The screw may be colored green, some are not.

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

contain asbestos"

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: jbushart

Is the discoloration on the “main” breaker due to water intrusion? My pic is kind of dark.

Also, with the box almost full and the probability of a 60 amp service, it should be worthy of note that any need for additional circuits may require a major upgrade.

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

I agree with Gerry on the meter rating and the wire rating. The three factors to supply amps are the amp ratings for the

1. Meter Base

2. Wire Size

3. Main Breaker

The smallest one of those is the amp size. In this case, with a 60 amp meter you've got a 60 amp service.

The panel being labeled for 125 amp is typically just the MAXIMUM that can be in the panel. Doesn't have much to do with the ACTUAL service rating (well, as long as it doesn't EXCEED 125 amps).

I also note:

(Second breaker from the bottom on the right) "A white or neutral wire is being used as a hot or black/red wire. Generally accepted nationwide building practices call for hot wires to be black/red or be permanently marked as hot wires on both ends of the wire. This is a safety hazard for repairmen working on the circuit."

I've looked and looked but can't find any breakers double tapped. The two on the lower right (with the green squares) are double breakers.

What is that brown cloth covered cable in the middle of the top bus bar. Kinda looks silver on my screen??

The neutral and ground bars appear to be joined by the silver plate behind the large neutral wire in the center of the lower bar and bonded to the box with the green screw above that same large neutral wire.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: Brian A. Goodman

The main breaker disconnect is not labeled, and I cannot figure out the actual service amperage to the property.

On the left side of the meter base it says "Type T-30-S", which I believe is a 30 amp. Next time you see a newer 200 amp look at the same place on the meter face, it'll probably say "Type 200". Erby is correct, it's the smallest of the components that determines the real service size.

I cannot find if the Ground and Neutral bars are bonded, which I thought they needed to be if this panel is used as a service panel...

You're right, the service equipment enclosure should be bonded to the neutral / ground bars (in a sub panel it's bonded only to the equipment ground bar). When I can't tell if it's bonded or not I check continuity between the bar and the enclosure with my meter. Not everyone will be comfortable doing that.

There is one breaker that is double tapped, but once again, I cannot find if this square-d breaker is rated for a double tap.

Square D does make a breaker rated for double tap, but it's only been around the last few years. I doubt if any of these are that type, but you'd have to be able to read the little label or recognize the special lug to be certain.

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all,

Brian, I don't believe that the I-30-s referes to the amperage of the meter as this model was current from the late 30's to the early 50's here's a great site about panels:

http://www.watthourmeters.com

and here is this specific meter:

http://www.watthourmeters.com/generalelectric/i30.html

by the way an issue I forgot to address from the original post was the 15amp comment, this was the test amperage for this meter.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

If there is a question about a meter it should be referred to the utility. Even code inspectors are out of their jurisdiction making a ruling there. It is NESCland.

This may be an indication that unpermitted work was performed. (That is also a panel that shows up in BORGs a lot)

If you really want to look into something I would question breaker 8, the top piggyback. If you count uop the neutrals you really don't seem to have many and the red/black on #8 looks like a 20(14?)-2 romex was used. If this is true you are sharing a neutral on the same phase.
You could also question the piece of wire used as a handle tie but that won't burn your house down. Look into that suspected multiwire.

Thanks for all thew responses all, I really appreciate all your help and advice!

“In the fields of observation, chance favors only the mind that is prepared”

Louis Pasteur

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Greg Fretwell wrote:
If there is a question about a meter it should be referred to the utility ... This may be an indication that unpermitted work was performed.

I agree. In addition to checking with the local utility, the client should verify there is a valid electrical inspection certificate for the panel.

In my book FPE panels/breakers are a concern that should be looked at by an electrical professional, based on past/potential problems in general with that make ...

http://www.codecheck.com/pdf/electrical/240overcurrent/FPE%20Article%20from%20DH%20-%20Nov2003.pdf
http://www.inspect-ny.com/fpe/fpestlouis.htm

While that is being done, the other items can be checked out ... including an apparently missing label for the main breaker rating (probably should have been labeled at the top of the handles) which is also a concern/defect.

And to help identify a SQD breaker rated for two wires look at the pressure plate holding the wires. It should be a little wider than one for a typical breaker, and have separate grooves on each side of the set screw for the individual wires to be secured without any wire-to-wire contact.

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Oh, I hadn’t thought of that. Thanks Robert, and all!

“In the fields of observation, chance favors only the mind that is prepared”

Louis Pasteur