Dencor demand-controller

Is anyone familiar with this thing? I know it’s supposed to optimize electrical use but do they work well for the home owner or are they more beneficial to power companies?

Power companies frequently offer lower rates for interruptible service to such items as air conditioners and electric water heaters. If your air conditioner is sized properly, you will be uncomfortable on the hottest days. That has to be weighed against the savings. The controller in the photo appears to be capable of controlling 5 loads, and at least three, possibly four, are connected. I don’t know what the third or fourth loads would be in a home. Possibly laundry equipment. The wiring isn’t large enough to carry much electric heat, so I doubt it is for that.

James this was a solar home with electric baseboard backup, electric cooktop and no air conditioning so I guess the dryer would be the other big load.

I’m was hoping to tell them whither it’s a good thing or a bad thing.

Kenton,
I believe only the customer can determine if it is good or bad, once the facts are in front of him:

1. What loads can be interrupted by the controller?
  2. Under what circumstances and duration are they interrupted?
  3. What is the financial reward from the utility company for allowing them to interrupt these loads?

Jim King

Hi Kenton,

It is funny, I just came across a Dencor yesterday at a property with electric baseboard heating. I am glad you posted this question, because I wanted to provide the client with more information on these as well.

Thanks Kenton.

Jonathan

Kenton
I had a load controler in an all electric home I owned at one time. It was indeed a a cost saver as it limited how much load could be used at any given time. If set properly they are a good thing. If set improperly they can be a nightmare.

I now see this was an old thread and I should have addressed my response to Jonathan