Desperate ASHI inspectors, now offering to inspect for free.

Careful James, we don’t seem to enforce ours either after reading the thread about following state rules.

It could be that no one has filed a written complaint.

PHS is a Home Repair Coordinator type company not a home inspection company.

They hire and pay ASHI inspectors to inspect the house.

PHS wants to get some of the repair business.

Whoopee.

Dig a little deeper next time.

Greg,

I see what you are saying but then people can say anything they want on the message board…it’s what they do on the job that affects the code. Would you not agree?

Because I claim to disobey a particular law does not necessarily mean that I actually do it. Can I be sanctioned for what I say, as opposed to what I do? On the other hand, read ASHI’s COE and then review the news reportsregarding the former ASHI president in Nebraska that got caught by a news crew paying real estate agents for referrals. Anything done with these guys?

For one to believe everything that people write on this board, one would have to be pretty naive.

Erbys got it. They say free because they will make more on repairs.

agreed

Great find thanks James … Roy Cooke

First it is a breach of the ASHI code of ethics.

Secondly we in Canada on the Ethics Committee have run into similar issues where a nonmember company owner hires association affiliaited home inspectors to work for them.And guess what - its the do it my way, or hit the highway mentality. Work or turn a blind eye on what your boss does after the inspection is performed.

I feel part of the issue starts with educating those at the ownership of the company position. As well as hopefully seeing a few inspectors step forward and report this type of unethical behaviour.

Has any ASHI member reading this thread fulfilled his own ASHI COE duty to report this activity to his association’s ethics committee?

Isn’t much different than having Brinks quote a security installation price for a NACHI member is it?

If (which is the question) this company is paying ASHI members to inspect homes, and a member is just inspecting the home like any other home, what is the problem?

ASHI’s Unenforced Ethics Code states (in part), as follows:

“Inspectors shall not accept compensation, directly or indirectly, for recommending contractors, services, or products to inspection clients or other parties having an interest in inspected properties.”

If they are being paid by a contractor for the inspection that the contractor will use to solicit work…I think that it qualifies as a violation and a direct conflict of interest.

Additionally, ASHI’s COE generally and broadly applied provisions prohibits actions that could be construed or appears as being a conflict of interest.

In any event, linking the name “ASHI” to this kind of activity is something that will discredit the association for obvious reasons.

Big difference, indeed, since security systems are not a part of the SOP.

It is free to the customer and free to the agent. Who do you think is paying for the inspection?:shock:

Jim,

That paragraph pretty much sums up the fact they aren’t in any breach.

I don’t see where an ASHI member is recommending anyone, do you?

Since when would any inspector tell or report the house needs a new kitchen or bathroom or it won’t sell?

That is not what I said, Brinks is installing a security system in a home a NACHI inspector recommended to their client, and receiving a kick-back from Brinks.

So? Where is the conflict of interest?

They want the repair money.
Why is this hard to see?

They talk you out of your money, for FREE, while
you think you got a home inspection. Simple. :roll:

No conflict, as with the other scenario as well.

The thread is about ASHI inspectors inspecting for free, which is not the scenario I wouldn’t think.

Where does it say ASHI members want the repair money?

What is the difference between inspecting a home for a realtor or a remodeling company?..none.

I have two realtors who pay for client inspections, I don’t inspect any different than if the client was paying.