Home Inspectors Under Scrutiny For Payments To Realtors

Originally Posted By: rwand
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Home Inspectors Under Scrutiny For Payments To Realtors

http://www.theomahachannel.com/houseandhome/4438310/detail.html

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

--
The value of experience is not in seeing much,
but in seeing wisely. - Sir William Osler 1905

http://www.raymondwand.ca
NACHI Member
Registered Home Inspector (R.H.I.)

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Pat Casey is a Past National ASHI President. I’m sure whatever that advertising program is, he wouldn’t be doing it unless it was OK.

Yep

This almost looks like a setup of some kind to slam ASHI. In looking at the names of the inspectors, I think all are ASHI inspectors.

People do things because:

A. They are ignorant and fail to see a problem - a mistake.
B. They partake willingly because they know the chance of being taken to task is non existant.
C. Everyone else does it, so it must be okay.
D. Assoc. Membership is irrelevent to the person partaking.
E. The participant knows other members are apathetic and will not complain.

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

--

NACHI Member

Originally Posted By: jbushart

This kind of press hurts everybody. We look at the article and see “ASHI”, while a consumer looks at the article and sees “home inspector”. icon_sad.gif

Home Inspection Services of Missouri

www.missourihomeinspection.com

"We're NACHI. Get over it."

www.monachi.org

dbowers wrote:
Pat Casey is a Past National ASHI President. I'm sure whatever that advertising program is, he wouldn't be doing it unless it was OK.

Dan,

I really don't know what his past position with his association would have to do with his character.

Ethics involve not only conflicts of interest, but also an appearance of a conflict of interest. Both are to be avoided when one wishes to hold a position of trust among the public.

Paying a real estate agent for placing your name on a list that the agent passes on to a consumer is wrong. It should not be done.

--

www.monachi.org

Originally Posted By: dfrend

ASHI COE specifically says they cannot pay to be on a list given by a real estate agent. So, IF that was the wording when they did, I’d have to say they are in the wrong, no doubt(it’s clear as day). Anyone know how long that pargraph has been worded like it is? Has it changed recently because of this? If not, I don’t see waht they have to fight ASHI over. If it is new, I agree it CAN be a grey area between ethics and advertising. I am sure in their minds they were paying advertising since consumers are still free to choose whomever. But, perceived ethical wrongdoing can be just as harmful as purposeful violations.

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store

www.homeinspectorstore.com

Originally Posted By: rzimmerman

jbushart wrote:
This kind of press hurts everybody. We look at the article and see "ASHI", while a consumer looks at the article and sees "home inspector". ![icon_sad.gif](upload://nMBtKsE7kuDHGvTX96IWpBt1rTb.gif)

Ant that is the pisser of this. Why was there nothing mentioned about the Realtors requiring money to be on the list? If an inspector offers a bribe why is there never anything about the Realtor accepting the bribe?

I plan on approaching reporters in my area with this subject. My approach will be to recommend home buyers not use the lists from Realtors, but use the internet and phonebook for finding their inspectors. There is still the chance they will get a crappy inspector, but at least they will not get one that is dependant on that Realtors business.

--
Rob Z.
www.RZinspections.com

Originally Posted By: dedwards

Story is a little one sided. The media always tries to make someone out as a villian and the other as a victim. I have personal experience however with this same kind of program here. I was “offered” the opportunity to “advertise” with several local real estate offices. I declined because at least in my mind it had the appearance of unethical practice. I have not gotten one job from any of those offices since then. They are all different franchises so I know it was not just a one franchise doing it. Can it make a difference. YOu bet! But I still would do it the same way.

as several people have already stated - if by some wierd chance this ad program was not correct - what about the Realtors putting it together.

dbowers wrote:
Having been a past National ASHI president, Pat Casey would know the ethical issues as well as anyone. Therefore, I'm sure that whatever the ASHI standards that govern this type of thing say - Pat must be playing within those rules and framework.

ASHI, NACHI, NAHI, or whatever - this is not an association issue. Home Inspectors have no business paying real estate agents money to get their name placed in front of a home buyer and we all know it, no matter how one chooses to conveniently interpret the ethics code. Whether these guys were past presidents or future astronauts - they shold not have done it.

These guys were wrong in what they did.

--

www.monachi.org

James,

Couldn't have said it better myself. The same programs have been offered and are offered in Canada.

Just say no.

Cheers,
Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

--

NACHI Member

Originally Posted By: dnice

Well, well. ASHI is investigating the Home Inspectors but WHO is investigating the Realtors for soliciting these fees icon_question.gif icon_question.gif

dnice wrote:
Well, well. ASHI is investigating the Home Inspectors but WHO is investigating the Realtors for soliciting these fees ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif) ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif)

A dollar to a donut says that their ethical policy allows for it, IMO. It is too common not to be otherwise. From their point of view, showing a seller that they will do anything to get a house sold is more in their favor. It works just the opposite for us.

--

www.monachi.org

Originally Posted By: rzimmerman

jbushart wrote:
dnice wrote:
Well, well. ASHI is investigating the Home Inspectors but WHO is investigating the Realtors for soliciting these fees ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif) ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif)

A dollar to a donut says that their ethical policy allows for it, IMO. It is too common not to be otherwise. From their point of view, showing a seller that they will do anything to get a house sold is more in their favor. It works just the opposite for us.

What does it say to the Buyer

--
Rob Z.
www.RZinspections.com

rzimmerman wrote:
jbushart wrote:
dnice wrote:

What does it say to the Buyer

Buyer beware! That is why they hire us. That is also why it hurts us, all of us, each time some knucklehead sells his integrity for a referral.

--

www.monachi.org

Many folks like to make a dramatic case against a relatively new inspector who might make a mistake. What about the experienced inspector who sells out to realtors? At least the inexperienced inspector will improve with each inspection. The unethical one gets deeper and deeper into his poor business practices.

www.monachi.org

Originally Posted By: mboyett

At least one national RE chain here in Austin requires vendors (HI’s, Mtg brokers, remodelers, landscapers, etc) to pay $210 every 6 months to be listed in their Premier Homes magazine’s Directory of Services. 14,000 copies of this 260 page magazine go out every other month to highly visible locations around the city where potential home buyer’s pick it up free. Is participating in that unethical or just an advertising cost? This also gives me the right to place my marketing material in all of their agents mailboxes. This chain has ~30% of the 6,000 Austin Realtors located in their 4 offices so that is very tempting to have that access. I can see both sides of the argument and until the rules change to disallow that practice I will continue to participate.

This very topic came up at the Texas Real Estate Commission (TREC) Inspector’s Committee meeting in March. The committee members did not have an immediate reaction nor official opinion at that time but agreed to bring it up as an official topic at a later committee meeting. The general feeling of the committee and the attendees was that TREC should probably weigh in on the matter and define exactly what Realtors should be allowed to do or not do. I suspect TREC will prohibit this practice sometime in the future but it’s not imminent.

Mike Boyett

Capital City Inspections

Austin, Tx

www.capcityinspections.com

mboyett wrote:
At least one national RE chain here in Austin requires vendors (HI's, Mtg brokers, remodelers, landscapers, etc) to pay $210 every 6 months to be listed in their Premier Homes magazine's Directory of Services. 14,000 copies of this 260 page magazine go out every other month to highly visible locations around the city where potential home buyer's pick it up free. Is participating in that unethical or just an advertising cost? This also gives me the right to place my marketing material in all of their agents mailboxes. This chain has ~30% of the 6,000 Austin Realtors located in their 4 offices so that is very tempting to have that access. I can see both sides of the argument and until the rules change to disallow that practice I will continue to participate.
This very topic came up at the Texas Real Estate Commission (TREC) Inspector's Committee meeting in March. The committee members did not have an immediate reaction nor official opinion at that time but agreed to bring it up as an official topic at a later committee meeting. The general feeling of the committee and the attendees was that TREC should probably weigh in on the matter and define exactly what Realtors should be allowed to do or not do. I suspect TREC will prohibit this practice sometime in the future but it's not imminent.

Mike,

I see a marked difference in your situation. Buying an ad in a magazine is legitimate advertising, IMO. While this also entitles you to other related benefits, the money goes to a printed ad that is published and made available to the public.

Putting money in an agent's pocket to put your name on a referral list is not legitimate advertising. This agent is not using this list to advertise but to steer clients toward those willing to pay.

The first scenario will never affect the wording in an inspection report, where the second one - even if it never does - will look like it has if the public were to discover it, as they evidently have in Omaha.

--

www.monachi.org