Digital Leveling Systems offers NACHI discount.

Originally Posted By: gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/dls.htm

Nick Gromicko

Founder

dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.

Originally Posted By: pdacey

Looks like a knock off of the Zip Level Pro 2000, formally the CompuLevel. But at about the third of the price. If it works and holds up, that’s a very good price. My Zip Level was $799.

Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Originally Posted By: Joel Corwith

That’s something I’ve not thought of before. How many people level around a house?

Joel. phx

Originally Posted By: tallen

Thats Jerry pecks job not mine.

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

If it’s a stone foundation I dont plumb it…can’t is the better term…too bumpy. I do floors, and also put a level on plumbing drains and hvac vents if they look close.

I brought a level up on a roof that was a very low pitch to measure the pitch.

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: tallen

Kevin,

Get a marble and a laser level.

Of course here in Az it is almost always slab on grade so if it don’t roll all is good.

I use a 2" antique marble ,but only if it looks out of whack. Then I check it with the laser. I have yet to find a bad one.Then again we don’t have basements icon_lol.gif

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: psabados

Oh yeah, Floors that slope, walls that lean, out of square doors and window frames. Foundation movement, sagging lintels. That little 1/8 movement in the basement could be an inch or better on the second or third story. Out of plumb A/C’s, garage floor pitch, sidewalks and stairs. Just to name a few of the places that one could use a level.

Makes excellent CYA pic's when the level is in the photo.

Paul

Originally Posted By: dbowers

I have both the Old Compu-Level (now the Zip Level) and this one. They both work on the same principles. We show them to our HI students.

This one is more affordable - the Zip level is sturdier and comes with more bells & whistles, including its own mono-pod so you don't have to bend over to record measurements - hold keys - store data keys - and the ability to download the info into a computer.

Originally Posted By: srowe

Macklanburg-Duncan 92379 24" SmartTool with Module

Amazon has this for $99.00 with FREE 14.99 carrying case, I believe Professional Equipment has the same one for $149.00 (without case)

Go to www.amazon.com
Under Tools & Hardware

Had it about 4 months, no problems yet.

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Shawn -

I think you're referring to a different type of level. I've got Professional Equipments last 10 catalogs and I don't see it anywhere. I looked on Amazon under Tools & Hardware and same results.

Look at the link at the top of this page for the photo of the level we're describing and see if that is the one you're referring to. If it is $99 or $149 is a unheard of price but I can't find it either place.

Originally Posted By: srowe

My apologies…this is NOT the same system.

Sorry...should have looked first

Originally Posted By: mikeeast

pdacey wrote:
Looks like a knock off of the Zip Level Pro 2000, formally the CompuLevel. But at about the third of the price. If it works and holds up, that's a very good price. My Zip Level was $799.

Patrick,
We have been in business a little over 8 years. Most of my sales are in the Manufactured Housing Business. The level is built to be very durable and easy to maintain. It actually uses RV Anti-Freeze as the fluid to transmit the pressure, and there are only 2 simple adjustments which you can calibrate yourself, so there is no need to return for adjustment or re-charging. I have several states that use the level for their state inspectors. The level is typically accurate to .2", 2/10, or 1/5 inch. And this is over a wide temp. range.
Thank you,
Mike East
Owner, Digital Leveling Systems

Originally Posted By: mikeeast

tallen wrote:
Kevin,
Get a marble and a laser level.
Of course here in Az it is almost always slab on grade so if it don't roll all is good.
I use a 2" antique marble ,but only if it looks out of whack. Then I check it with the laser. I have yet to find a bad one.Then again we don't have basements ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Kevin,
You can use a marble to see if a floor is out of level. That does not give you or your client very much useful information. In many homes with no visible signs of settling that may be good enough. However if you have a home with cracks in the walls, floors that have pulled away from the baseboards, and other signs of settling a documented elevation plot of the home is very useful info for you and your client. The level will tell you how much in documented, precise measurements the floor has fallen, (or in some cases how far out of level the house was built). This protects you from liability, documents the elevation for future reference, and makes you and your report more professional and more valuable. Most inspectors charge from $50 to $150 for this elevation plot, depending on the situation.
If you have signs of settling, it's worth it.

Mike East
Owner, Digital Leveling Systems

Originally Posted By: Dennis Vories, P.E.

pdacey wrote:
Looks like a knock off of the Zip Level Pro 2000, formally the CompuLevel. But at about the third of the price. If it works and holds up, that's a very good price. My Zip Level was $799.

August 25, 2004

Regarding Digital Leveling Systems electronic water level vs. the ZIPLEVEL Precision Altimeter:

You are right, Digital Leveling Systems has made a feeble attempted to produce a product that looks at a very distant glance as if it is a knock off of our ZIPLEVEL PRO-2000 precision altimeter. They call this assemblage of cheap off-the-shelf hardware "an electronic water level". Please be advised that this water level is not in any way comparable to the proven ZIPLEVEL PRO-2000 in operation, reliability, durability, credibility, ease of use or features. To call this water level a "knock-off" of our ZIPLEVEL PRO-2000 is a profound insult and we are not amused by its damage to our image. Neither are its former owners amused. For example:

The water level is an unpressurized device which will form bubbles in its hose over time or immediately if either its hose or electronics are raised too high above its reel. These bubbles seldom go back into solution and in words of more than one former Digital Leveling Systems customer, are much more difficult to remove than advertised. The ZIPLEVEL is the only pressurized hydrostatic altimeter in the world designed to prevent such problems - just one of its many patented features.

The water level is a simple analog product that has NO floating zero so you must remember a number displayed at your reference and subtract it from subsequent readings. ZIPLEVEL contains high tech digital processing performed by a state of the art microcontroller that lets you press its Zero key to set an imaginary zero reference plane anywhere you choose within its 40' vertical range and 200' circle of its Base Unit/Reel. Your readings are then shown exactly as you would want them in any desired scale - positive above your reference plane, negative below and by how much.

The water level forces you to bend over with every reading. One former owner commented that "this feature alone justifies owning a ZIPLEVEL". Additionally, the water level requires the user to unreel its hose from its reel before unstrapping its reference cell from the elastic band on the reel and placing it on a level surface beside the reel.

Because the water level uses simple analog electronics it has no accidental turn on or auto-power off features resulting in frequent dead batteries. For the same reason, it has no audio feedback, no easy calibration, no internal memory, no labor saving features and no computer interface.

For a variety of materials and design reasons, the water level is useable over a very limited temperature range. Conversely, ZIPLEVEL is designed and error corrected over a range of -22F to +158F with storage down to -40F. The water level hose is cheap PVC which lacks abrasion resistance, requires end point clamping and lacks longevity. Because PVC contains a plasticizer that is lost over time, it hardens with age, sunlight exposure and with reduced temperature and can eventually snap in two. ZIPLEVEL uses one of the most abrasion resistant cord materials known with no plasticizer having uniform flexibility over its broad temperature range and demonstrated longevity. The water level reel is adapted from an off-the-shelf cord reel made from cheap styrene with a fraction of the strength, impact or environmental resistance of the ZIPLEVEL materials. After more than a decade of history with tens of thousands of satisfied customers world wide we've seen no evidence of any environmental degradation of ZIPLEVEL leading us to estimate its service life to be as long as two or more decades.

In summary, the electronic water level is not at all what it might seem. If you or anyone else you know has had the unfortunate experience to own the electronic water level we have a way out: We will give a $100 trade-in credit towards purchase of the greatly superior ZIPLEVEL PRO-2000 - as you might expect we are accumulating quite a number. Visit our web site at www.ziplevel.com for shipping and contact information, see our streaming video, read our testimonials and learn how ZIPLEVEL PRO-2000 and ZIPLEVEL GEOTECH are the choice of professionals. Your image, credibility and bottom line can't afford anything less.

Regards,
Dennis L. Vories, P.E.
President & CEO
Technidea Corporation

Originally Posted By: pdacey

Dennis Vories, P.E. wrote:
To call this water level a "knock-off" of our ZIPLEVEL PRO-2000 is a profound insult and we are not amused by its damage to our image.

Dennis,

I apologize. No insult intended. I own a ZipLevel and wouldn't trade it for anything, even if they paid me to do it. I've been using mine for about a year now and love it. It's a breeze to use. Worth every penny. Again, no insult intended.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Originally Posted By: Dennis Vories, P.E.

Patrick,

Thank you for your positive review of your ZIPLEVEL PRO-2000. Your comments are typical of our very satisfied world wide customer base. We seldom hear a complaint and are constantly inundated with product accolades. One ZIPLEVEL customer laughingly commented, "you may borrow my wife but don't touch my ZIPLEVEL".

My reply to your recent comments about the electronic water level were intended primarily for the general forum who may have less information about these level/altimeter issues that you. Your comments mimicked those we have seen elsewhere in this forum thereby motivating our long overdue response.

Regards,
Dennis L. Vories, P.E.

Originally Posted By: rpierson

Has this forum turned into the Home Shopping NetworK???

We should have a different forum for people or companies throwing sales pitches!!!

Organize them and maybe the info would be useful. As it is now, if I did want a Zip level, a month or two from now, I doubt this thread will be here.

Just my Two Cents!

Originally Posted By: escanlan

Has anyone bought and tried the Digital Leveling Systems, Electronic Water Level? If so, how has your experience been?

Thanks

--
Manny (Emmanuel) Scanlan

Knowledge is power, but sharing knowledge brings peace!

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

I bought one. Mr. Vories provides an accurate description of the product.

Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: jmurray

Dennis Vories, P.E. wrote:
pdacey wrote:

August 25, 2004

Regarding Digital Leveling Systems electronic water level vs. the ZIPLEVEL Precision Altimeter:

To call this water level a "knock-off" of our ZIPLEVEL PRO-2000 is a profound insult and we are not amused by its damage to our image. Neither are its former owners amused. For example:

Regards,
Dennis L. Vories, P.E.
President & CEO
Technidea Corporation

Hey, I don't have your product and judging by your rude attitude, I wouldn't want it. What an as*. Mr. Dacey owns your product and your telling him that you are insulted by his "knock off" comparision?
I am profoundly disgusted with your behavior, Vories.
Lucky for you that this board exists for you to come and belittle it's members and peddle your goods.
"The damage to our image"........Sounds like your ready to sue Mr. Dacey for libel. Ridiculous and uncalled for!

--
"A little less conversation and a little more action"!