Discharge pipe

So far in nearly have of my HIs , the TPR valves have no discharge pipes . In one case it was a recent replaced hot water tank . Of course I report it . Then short time later the plumber who installed it calls and carries on for a while , in sumery he tells me that it’s only an option to install , that it’s an extra charge to add it . I’m wondering if there is some kind of action I can take to change these guys minds ? That is with out making a small war ! Haha . ;):smiley:

Send them this.

International Plumbing Code

**504.6 Requirements for discharge piping. **

The discharge piping serving a pressure relief valve, temperature relief valve or combination thereof shall:

  1. Not be directly connected to the drainage system.

  2. Discharge through an air gap located in the same room as the water heater.

  3. Not be smaller than the diameter of the outlet of the valve served and shall discharge full size to the air gap.

  4. Serve a single relief device and shall not connect to piping serving any other relief device or equipment.

  5. Discharge to the floor, to an indirect waste receptor or to the outdoors. Where discharging to the outdoors in areas subject to freezing, discharge piping shall be first piped to an indirect waste receptor through an air gap located in a conditioned area.

  6. Discharge in a manner that does not cause personal injury or structural damage.

  7. Discharge to a termination point that is readily observable by the building occupants.

  8. Not be trapped.

  9. Be installed so as to flow by gravity.

10.** Not terminate more than 6 inches (152 mm) above the floor or waste receptor.**

  1. Not have a threaded connection at the end of such piping.

  2. Not have valves or tee fittings.13. Be constructed of those materials listed in Section 605.4 or materials tested, rated and approved for such use in accordance with ASME A112.4.1.

It’s a requirement in the states. What does Canadian code say in the matter?

When ever I get challenged by the Local Tradespersons about my findings in my Written Report, I just ask them to kindly show me, and or guide me, to the Documents backing up their findings.

Something like a Code or Manufactures Documents will suffice. I have yet to have anyone comply. :wink:

Thanks for your replys ,
Yes the code is the same here . What happened is the home owner asked for the discharge pipe to installed after my HI report . The client called the plumbing co. that put the tank in they billed the client a $187 w/ tax . Client phoned me , I advised that they shouldn’t have to pay the bill . That’s when the plumber contacted me . Their opinion was that I didn;t know anything and I was out of line . Waiting for results from client . :neutral::neutral:

That was poor advice IMHO. Who are we to say what should be paid for.

Your comment should have been along these lines;

“The plumbing contractor should have installed the discharge piping as a standard part of the water-heater installation. As it stands, the installation is incomplete.”

The Arizona Registrar of Contractors would make them put it in if the home owner complained. Does BC have a similar agency?

The AHJ should also back you up. I wouldn’t go that route unless there was a permit pulled for it.

Yes Jef , your risght ! I should have worded it along the lines that you said . In the phone conversation , however I did write it much like you said in my report .
And Loren I’m looking into that . Thanks for the good advice , to you both .

Installers will complain back, just so their lack of licensing, insurance, code compliance, and education will not be discovered and/or reported by you. Perhaps it is really Uncle Bob who did the installation. I see it alot.