Do You Call This Out ?

OK the main incoming SEC was done correctly other than the hole needs to be sealed up for water and insects protection. My question is that as you can see the cable company came and ran a boatload of cable through the sec sleeve? What do you think?

Jim

I would think it should not be in the same run . I know telephone is not allowed to do it

Since they’re all cables in that sleeve I don’t see an issue.

If you run a network cable, such as for internet, right along side of an electrical line it will disrupt frequencies into the network cable slowing speeds down. Networking cables will pick up the alternate current field around the electrical line. The two cables should not be in the wall cavity, but can be on the opposite sides of a wall stud. I pretty sure on the older coax you could run them in the same conduit, but I imagine with the new HD televisions this might cause a problem with clarity.
Condo Bob was once a TV cable guy, maybe he can answer the question about coax.

This does not look like a proffetional job . What doesthe rest of the wiring look like ? :smiley:

Not allowed

Are you saying that this is a code issue or just poor design?

Cable wires should always go through their own sleeves.

When running cable, it is best to follow a few simple rules:

• Always use more cable than you need. Leave plenty of slack.
  • Test every part of a network as you install it. Even if it is brand new, it may have problems that will be difficult to isolate later.
  • Stay at least 3 feet away from fluorescent light boxes and other sources of electrical interference.
  • If it is necessary to run cable across the floor, cover the cable with cable protectors.
  • Label both ends of each cable.
  • Use cable ties (not tape) to keep cables in the same location together.:slight_smile:

Home inspectors are not code inspectors so as soon as home inspectors understand that, the less chance of them be humiliated on the job.

James is correct, the technical term is Parasitic oscillations. You can observe/hear them by driving next to High tension lines with your AM radio turned on to a weaker station. That buzzing sound is similar to effect of running cable lines next to SEC.

Not allowed by the cable companies and one call gets it removed.

So how would you write this one up?

There is nothing wrong with running telephone and cable wires with the power. This is done all the time. Cat5 wire is twisted to block the interference from power.

There is no NEC issue as Robert has already stated.

If not an issue with the NEC, it must have an issue with someone else, for I have never been able to run Communications and power in the same conduit.
There is also a requirement on distance between the conduits that is not readibly available to me.

Been separated for years. Commercial anyways. :):smiley:

The conduit that you’ve mentioned is merely a sleeve through the sheathing and is not a raceway. Also cables are permitted to be run next to each other even through the same sleeve.

That is a sleeve containing cables, not mixed power and LV in the same conduit. The sleeve is the same as a bored hole.

Echo, echo.

No I am talking conduits in the ground, not sleeves.
Interior wiring and communications are also seperated in wire mould in some cases.

Is this by design or some requirement other than NEC?:slight_smile:

OK, get it, forgot that the OP was talking about a sleeve.

On and foward. :wink: