Many distribution cables entering in top main panel knock-out

This just seems wrong to have more than 3 distribution cables entering through the top main knock-out. Would you call this out? The home is only 11 years old and has all the approval inspection stickers (final). Thought with all the other knock-outs, they should have been utilized with the proper bushings.

In some locales this is the way it’s done, if they’re supposed to follow the NEC then it’s always a violation because those cable connectors are not listed for that many cables in each connector.

1 Like

Electrons work differently in different parts of the country :smiley:

3 Likes

That has been new construction SOP for the past 10-15 years here.

1 Like

Kinda hard to call it out, when it passed the city final.

3 Likes

That’s an interesting point, I’m on the fence about it but leaning towards it should be reported unless there is a local code amendment that permits it. I tend to think about what could happen if the new buyer goes and sells the house in the future and the next inspector reports it as a defect and then these people are stuck with having to pay to fix it.

1 Like

IMO not a problem,

I found this yesterday, which is a problem.

2 Likes

I agree with Robert, not compliant with the NEC. Although there is a similar method allowed only for surface mount panels that is compliant with certain restrictions.

It’s only 11 years old, it passed the city inspection. I wouldn’t call it out. If the rest of the panel is cool, simply shoot a few pics, check off ‘Satisfactory’ and move on.

Yeah, that’s what I did. Thanks. My next inspection after this one was the same way and it was only 9 years old!