Do you offer new construction inspections? How to make your own liquid level.

How to Make Your Own Liquid Level.

I use to make my own…now I just break out my builders level and shoot elevations if need be.

I must be stupid, because I didn’t understand how to take a measurement of a footing based on those instructions. A (video) field demonstration would be helpful.

I’m still trying to figure out what a “footer” is.

I’m with you on that.

Another technical language test: do you “pour” or “place” concrete?

It’s “pour a footer” not “place a footing” in contracting.

Here is my thinking:

A “footing” can be many different things, but a “footer” has but one common meaning in construction.

Concrete cures and turns to a solid from what state? You “place” a cured concrete patio stone by putting it in its place, but you pour concrete into a form. You cannot form a solid, it already had its form.

That’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it. LOL! :smiley:

“Footing” also has but one common meaning in construction. The word is used extensively in the IRC.

The word “footer”, conversely, has zero occurrences in the IRC. If you google “footer”, you’ll go for pages and pages before you find any reference to construction.

Sorry to disagree, but this is a common misnomer.

You will never see “footer” in a set of blueprints, nor will you find it in any model codes. In fact, when I see “footer” used in any “publication,” I will generally dismiss the entire communication as that of a less-than-qualified person.

Sure, we “recognize” the term simply due to it’s over-use - much like “main panel” or* “ain’t,”* but that doesn’t make it right.

The correct term is/was/has-always-been - “footing.”

Concrete is poured during placement. . .

The basic foundation of your argument has a sound footing.

Yeh but Jeff, what about when we need an extra footer two? :mrgreen:

But Google “Foundation Footer”](

Wooden guides are laid out in the
excavated area to create the shape
and location of the foundation

Google the word “ain’t.”

I will have to question the qualifications of an author who would use the word “footer” in a publication titled “Building a Foundation.”

Construction terminology varies with region. As long as everyone understands that they’re talking about the same thing it doesn’t matter what you call it.

My girlfriend was trying to decide whether to have her old, old dog euthanized . Robbie was going to Italy for a week and I offered to “take care” of Pokey while she was gone. I was going to take care of Pokey out in the woods with a .45 caliber pistol.
Robbie thought I meant feed Pokey and take her for walks.

We discovered the misunderstanding just as Robbie was walking out the door for the airport.

What was the topic again? Oh yeah.

You set elevations with the water level, not take measurements. I once set elevations for exterior siding on a 6000 sq ft. home using an electronic water level (about $35). I went all the way around the exterior and when I reached my original mark I was off by only 1/4". It had a buzzer so using it only required one person.

The homemade variety can be less accurate. You need to make sure there are no bubbles in it and it’s not kinked. You can use a garden hose with 2’ clear plastic plastic extensions at the ends for a lot less money. They used to sell the extensions with the fittings installed just for that purpose. Pay about $11. If you set your elevation mark in the center of the structure you can reach the entire perimeter with a shorter hose.

In fact, I just found the same water level I used on that building…

Shop talk, or during open discussion? Sure, but when you use improper (and it is improper) terms in published articles, you lose all credibility as far as I am concerned.

“Footers shall be 12 inches in the dirt unless you live where it snows a lot, then you make sure you dig down below the cold dirt.” That’s in the IRC somewhere.

I agree with you there, Jeff. Architectural Graphic Standards uses “footing”. It’s the standard source for terminology used by architects and engineers. The IRC, IBC, basically all formal reference sources use “footing”.

Then “footings” it is.

Someone tell the all the concrete contractors.