Do you see it?

IMG_0033.JPG

Comments

Water leak directly into the conduit at the top of the electrical panel.

Yikes and needs the bushing.
That Romex stuff always looks like birds nest to me always has issues when I see it.
Had some wired to a whole house fan in the attic with duct tape instead of a junction box tonight.
Romex not allowed around here so all I see is amateur.

When I pointed out the water line to the buyer he just shook his head.

It’s a perfect storm of utility convergence.

Is that the concern? I don’t see any actual leaks, just a bit of corrosion/oxidation.

FWIW - Water lines in close proximity to the electrical panel and components is not a reportable issue/defect, regardless of what some may think.

Jeff, please explain why it’s not reportable

as depicted it’d make my report
ymmv
http://www.mikeholt.com/videodisplaynew.php?pageid=1246

Obstruction of “dedicated space” is a reportable defect. Plumbing lines in close proximity to the panel is not.

I haven’t heard what the actual concern is, but based on the previous posts, it seems to be the latter.

It made my report as a possible issue.
If this was a straight run of pipe past this area I probably would not have said anything about it. The fact that there are 2 elbow fittings directly above the conduit. I explained to the client what may occur in the event these fittings leak.
I further discussed with the client that should they decide to change out their dated service panel like they were discussing there would probably be need to relocate from the current location.

None of this was reported in the summary of defects, however can be found in the body of the report.

John, where was this located. Was it under a kitchen sink? What do the two lines feed?

Looks like corrosion alright… Caused by a water leak. Leaking now or not wouldn’t make a bit of difference if there are fittings above.

I agree with John amd Jeff. It is located in dedicated space.

If pipes/fittings leak or not, there’s also a strong possibility of condensation dripping directly into conduit/panel. You could recommend your clients insulate pipes.

What is obstruction of dedicated space?

Any system or component, other than the electrical system, that is located within the space that is required to be dedicated to the electrical components.

In this particular instance, the copper tubing and one of the copper pipes could be considered as being within this dedicated space.

There should be protection provided for the panel in the event of leaks, breakage or condensation.

Lacking any real information, my concern was that the OP took issue with the piping being “to close” to electrical components. Many inspectors make the mistake of believing that there should be some type of separation between conduit/NM and water or gas pipes, when in fact, there is no such requirement, nor is there a reason why they can’t be in direct contact.

If John reported that there should be protection for the panel, I would agree with his recommendation.

Are we talking about the working distance here?

Working space requirements and dedicated space requirements, although similar, are not the same.

Gotcha. Do you have the code references?

NEC 110.26 addresses “dedicated” space and “working” space requirements.

Can a “domestic” water supply be a “foreign” system?:wink:

as depicted, imho yes, advising the installation of additional protection is not a deal killer