Do you want to add a basic WDO course to membership req?

Originally Posted By: gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I think I can put together a basic online Wood Destroying Insect/Termite course with pics, diagrams, photos, and a little q/a section. It wouldn’t be too difficult to complete. Many home inspectors argue that they have some responsibility to spot obvious WDO infestation even when they are not offering this service (this certainly appears true in the state of Washington). What should we do with it?

1. Make it available to all in http://www.nachi.org/education.htm
2. Make it available to members only (password protected like http://www.nachi.org/qa.htm is)?
3. Make it's completion a membership requirement http://www.nachi.org/membership.htm before applying?
4. Forget it. It's outside the scope of a home inspection.

We kind of need to know what we're going to do with it before we configure the course.

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

We are already adding http://www.nachi.org/ohrp.htm to http://www.nachi.org/membership.htm next year. Would the pre-application requirements be too much if we added a little WDO/Termite course? Chris has made it very easy (technically) for us to construct one with pics and photos (something needed in a WDO course).

Nick Gromicko

Founder

dues=79cents/day.

Originally Posted By: aslimack

Nick,

I can't speak for others but the continuing ed. would be welcome to me. The credits would have to be approved by the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation for it to be of benefit to me. My problem is that some of the core specific classes i need to maintain my certification are hard to find.

Adam

Originally Posted By: lwilliams

Great topic Nick, to answer your questions, here is my ten cents worth (I am expensive icon_lol.gif )

1. Make it available to all in http://www.nachi.org/education.htm Definitely!

2. Make it available to members only (password protected)? No, as with all the exams on this board it should be available to the general public.

3. Make it's completion a membership requirement http://www.nachi.org/membership.htm before applying? Again, Definitely!

4. Forget it. It's outside the scope of a home inspection.

It is outside the scope of a home inspection but it is also a major source of litigation for those inspectors in insect infested areas. Like everything else we inspect we need to know something about every area including insects/pests. I don't know if we are acknowledging it yet but home inspectors of today ARE expected to be experts in every field! The bug course/exam will be an asset to this membership.

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

The problem is with education and litigation. It is clearly outside te scope of the home inspection. This is precisely why NY specifically kept the requirement out of the licensing bill. It is an ancillary service.

Now for education and litigation. It has been successfully argued in court that thse with education in specific areas, are considered experts. In NY, for instance, with my WDI technician license, I am technically on the hook for WDI inspections whether paid for them or not. I have the training and experience. Period.

Make it a membershp requirement, and provide some trainings, and you run the risk of exposing our HI members to possible litigation.

Bottom line is to get the real certification in WDI if you plan to perform these inspections.

I am against making this a membership requirement. Not that I am not already qualified, as I hold a State license in this area.

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Originally Posted By: cmccann

Nick, Most definitely add a WDO/WDI course. That would be great. I have recently requested info on a 2 day course and I about puked when he told me it would be 1000.00 for the course. All inspectors should be educated in this area.

I vote for making this a membership only course. Just another reason to join NACHI.

Joe, By calling everyone certified is that not the same thing? If your scared of lawyers then you are in the wrong business. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) I would rather get more education right here from NACHI then anywhere else.

--
NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: jpope

jfarsetta wrote:
I am against making this a membership requirement.

I am also against this as a requirement.

In CA, I am not allowed to reference WDO's except to defer. I cannot (legally) even make the distinction between water damage (dry rot) and pest damage (termites or the like) as I am not licensed by the state to do so.

CEC's would be fine, but I would personally opt out of this particular subject.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Good point Jeff:

In Washington state it is just the opposite. You can't even mention wood rot (which is considered a condition which draws termites) in a home inspection without having a WDO license. They want every home inspector to have a WDO license. At http://www.nachi.org/pugetsoundchapter.htm I pinned down Dr. Dan Suomi with a question "Can you imagine any scenerio where a home inspector should not have WDO training, even if he doesn't offer this service?" after the crowd giggled... he answered "No."

How do you handle infestation discovery on your inspections in California, when you spot it, but are not offering it as an add-on inspection?

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

Originally Posted By: rcallis

I agree with Chuck, the training would be great to have and make it a benefit of membership.

Reggie

--On one hand moisture or poor grading or plumbing leaks or unventilated crawl spaces or untreated wood in contact with the ground are all things that attract WDOs and must be mentioned if discovered by a general home inspector.

--And on the other hand WDO's cause defects that must be reported if discovered by a general home inspector.

I'm not saying we all have to have applicator licenses or electrical licenses or plumbing licenses but we need to be able to talk about WDO intelligently even when we don't offer such services. It is too intertwined with our general home inspections. I think a course that helps members recognize infestation when its staring them in the face couldn't hurt.

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

The question was not whether to ofer the course to members. The question is whether to make it a membership requirement. Again, it is an ancillary service, and as such, should not be a requirement of membership.

And Chuck, it is wise to be wary of litigation, and to limit your exposure wherever you can. Being wary of litigation is a smary business decision. Your AVATAR is a NASCAR vehicle and driver. As good as he is at what he does, and as well built and safety oriented his car is, if asked, would the driver say he wasnt afraid of crashing? I doubt he would. Same with us.

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Joe, are you saying your only beef is if it’s a membership requirment? Would you support a course that can be offered to members?

Race car drivers should be scared to crash, but that doesn't keep them from racing, and taking a chance to win the race. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) As so should we.

--
NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: jpope

gromicko wrote:
How do you handle infestation discovery on your inspections in California, when you spot it, but are not offering it as an add-on inspection?

We can go as far to say "Evidence of possible WDO's or WDI's," but we (as home inspectors) are not legally qualified to say "termite" or "dry rot."

Any reference to WDI's or WDO's (in my reporting) directs the client to refer to a qualified termite report for more information. In CA, the termite inspection is mandatory and must be provided by the seller prior to transfer.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: dharris

[quote=“jpope”][

Quote:
We can go as far to say "Evidence of possible WDO's or WDI's," but we (as home inspectors) are not legally qualified to say "termite" or "dry rot."
Any reference to WDI's or WDO's (in my reporting) directs the client to refer to a qualified termite report for more information

Same Here in AZ
A unoffical identificiation course would be helpful

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

My initial reaction is to make the course available to Members Only.

Completion should not be a requirement of Membership.

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

I think the KNOWLEDGE would be helpful, however, there is the risk of leaving an HI thinking that this MIGHT QUALIFY them for WDO or WDI inspections in their state, and it will not.

Many states have special licensing for WDO or WDI, and this would be meaningless for that purpose.

I'd say YES, definitely add it, but put big red letters warning

"THIS DOES NOT QUALIFY YOU TO DO WDO OR WDI INSPECTIONS - CONTACT YOUR STATE. THIS INFORMATION IS FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY.

THERE IS *NO* *CERTIFICATION* AVAILABLE WITH THIS AND THIS *DOES* *NOT* MAKE YOU A *CERTIFIED* WDO OR WDI INSPECTOR."

If they can understand that, excellent. If they cannot, they are a lost cause anyway.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

I agree with what you are saying Jerry, but I’m not sure what the difference is when someone takes the entrance exam to gain membership to the NACHI and they become “certified”. State rules always apply first. NACHI offers a course to become a home inspector, is that not the same thing? So your saying it’s ok to be certified to be a home inspector that looks for “possible” signs of termite activity, but the NACHI can not certify a current member to comment on it? To me this sounds like a competition factor coming into play here. icon_rolleyes.gif

Not trying to sart a arguement, but just trying to understand your logic?

--
NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

I wouldn’t mind taking a WDO course, but I don’t think it should be a requirement.

Taking the course would definately be beneficial.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

cmccann wrote:
I agree with what you are saying Jerry, but I'm not sure what the difference is when someone takes the entrance exam to gain membership to the NACHI and they become "certified". State rules always apply first. NACHI offers a course to become a home inspector, is that not the same thing? So your saying it's ok to be certified to be a home inspector that looks for "possible" signs of termite activity, but the NACHI can not certify a current member to comment on it? To me this sounds like a competition factor coming into play here. ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

Not trying to sart a arguement, but just trying to understand your logic?

Many States require Training, Apprenticeship, Business Licensing and Insurance to perform WDI/WDO Inspections. It is a State Licensed Activity.

The point is the training if offered by NACHI is not intended to be a Certification to perform the work. You would need to meet the Municipal and Provincial requirements in your area.

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Many States require Training, Apprenticeship, Business Licensing and Insurance to perform WDI/WDO Inspections. It is a State Licensed Activity.

The point is the training if offered by NACHI does not intended as a Certification to perform the work. You would need to meet the Municipal and Provincial requirements in your area.[/quote]

Just like a home inspector. Got it thanks.

--
NACHI MAB!