DoD SkillBridge Program

Hello, Everyone!

I am preparing for my retirement from the military next year and am looking forward to starting my second career as a home inspector. I am stationed in Northern Virginia, but I am relocating to the Huntsville, Alabama area when I retire. I would like to gain some experience as a home inspector while I am still serving on active duty. I have completed the InterNACHI CPI requirements as well as the AHIT online course and ICA in-person course for Maryland and Virginia. I am preparing to take the NHIE in a few weeks. Virginia requires 25 home inspections under the direct supervision of a home inspector. Alabama has a similar requirement, so I’m trying to figure out how to get those done as soon as possible.

The Department of Defense (DoD) has a program called DoD SkillBridge. It allows Service Members who are transitioning from the military to work with/for approved industry partners at NO COST during the final 180 days of their military service. Full pay and benefits are still provided by the DoD throughout the program. I am exploring opportunities within that program and, if approved, could start as early as January.

Has anyone heard of this program? I’ve searched through all of the participating companies and found only one home inspection company, which is in Weatherford, Texas. I was hoping to find a company in Northern Virginia or, more preferably, in the Huntsville, Alabama area that is willing to participate in the program. Here’s the link if you would like to learn more about it. DoD SkillBridge

I appreciate your time and consideration! Please let me know if you have any questions or are interested in participating in the program. I am also seeking part-time opportunities, separate from DoD SkillBridge, in Northern Virginia or nearby in Maryland.

Thanks,

Brian Beddingfield
256-497-2805
s.brian.beddingfield@gmail.com

3 Likes

I recommend that before you get too far along with your plans, that you verify with Alabama that those licensing activities are allowed to be reciprocal from other licensed states, ie. the 25 “Ride Alongs” may not be allowed from other licensed states.
Good luck.

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice, Jeffrey! I will do that.

Brian

1 Like

Thanks for your service, Future HI Brother

1 Like

Thanks, Bryan!