Does anyone use a "tablet PC"

Originally Posted By: mrose
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Greetings,

Being a "card carrying" gadget freak I am exploring the possibility of using a tablet PC for on site reporting.

I am considering an Acer C110 or a Fujitsu model.

Are there any time savings over using a regular laptop?

What equipment are you using and software?

Thanks for your input.

--
Mike Rose
Cornerstone Home Inspection Co. LLC
Lawrenceville, GA

www.cornerstonehomeinspect.com

Originally Posted By: shuggins

Mike,

I use the fujitsu model, but I still put the report together at the office. I seem to work better there and you don't have a realtor standing over you. I run Homegauge software and can do the report on the site, I feel I can do a better job if I gather info and put it together at the office.

Thanks,

--
Spencer Huggins
H & H Inspection Services, LLC
Piedmont, Oklahoma
spencer@hhinspections.com
http//www.hhinspections.com

Oklahoma NACHI Chapter Vice President
shuggins@ok.nachi.org

Originally Posted By: kluce

I use the Acer C100 and I love it. I use to print reports at the job site but changed my ways because of advertising methods. When I use to print at job site, I used a color laser printer which only took 4 minutes to print on the average 20 color pages. I had a big inverter installed in my truck to supply the power. The inverter was the best thing I did. icon_biggrin.gif

I use InspecTrix 2000 software which gives me a good looking report with checklist, narrative reporting and pictures.

Originally Posted By: efreilich

i use a Compaq TC1000, 1 ghz, 768 ram, 40 gig drive, built in stereo speakers, Wifi. I added external 120 Gig HD, DVD-RW, scanner and printer.

Saves me about 30 min per inspection. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

I also use the computer everywhere else. It has Wifi, so I can acess my network and internet connection outside. Our desktop computer is gathering dust.

Eric

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

I’ve decided to use my home pc instead of going with the laptop. I can come back and look up items I just was not sure about, and include recall data on equipment or construction products…just can’t do that with onsite reporting.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: Steve Costa

I have the Acer tablet, once you get used to it and have it your software setup like you want it you will save time. I put 95% of my info into it on-site then refine and print at home.

Originally Posted By: rpasquier

I use a pocket PC now, I have transferred most of my files over to it, and check off the list via the Pocket PC, then I go over it and transfer it to my home computer and do the report online with Reporthost.

The Ipaq was inexpensive compared to a tablet, $400 compared to $1200, and it pretty much does everything that I need it to do.

A tablet just would have been too cumbersome, the Ipaq sits on my belt along with my cell phone and leatherman, and I just reach over and grab it, much more convenient then a tablet, and a lot easier to carry under a house in the crawlspace.

And if I hurt it, better to be out $400, then $1200 as far as I am concerned.

Working on getting the reporthost field notes in a database format, will let everyone know if I succeed. Right now I am editing via word, but want to make it interactive so to speak.

Originally Posted By: jruppert

Richard - I use a tablet now but find it a bit awkward. How do you like the pocket PC. I’m thinking of using it with Inspectview. Is the pocket PC handy and easy to use with the software or is it difficult to get around and find things?

Thanks for your advise.

Jim Ruppert

Originally Posted By: rpasquier

As I said Jim, right now I am using the notes that I have always used for home Inspections, and the field notes for reporthost, but I tire of carrying around a clipboard.

The Pocket PC, an Ipaq 3835 cost me a total of $400 with memory, cases etc and the screen is very large for a PDA.

The pocket word works great and I keep the word open and my pocket notes, and just type in my comments etc in the notes, as I normally do on a notepad, then when I get home, I transfer that report and my comments to Reporthost and the pictures of course, and done.

I will NOT do reports onsite, the check has to be cashed FIRST before I even think about writing the report.

I go to the bank the check is written on and cash the check as I head home, then I write the report.

It is easier then writing on a notepad, I just switch from screen to screen as I go over the property, and it is all electronic, not handwritten, because even doctors have a hard time with it, and so do I after 3 hours. My handwriting stinks...LOL

I love my Ipaq, and I will figure out an easier way to use it I am sure, but I just started and wouldn't go back if you payed me.