Double tap- two 10 AWG's for 60 amp breaker

This is the first time I’ve seen this one. 60 amp breaker for compressor unit uses two 10 gauge wires instead of a 6 awg. I know the double tap is wrong because of the potential for a bad connection, but how does that work as far as gauge is concerned with them going to the same unit?
Sorry for the blurry pic.

tap.jpg

1 Like

It’s an NEC violation since parallel conductors are required to be a minimum of #1/0 in size.

2 Likes

It is also a violation as the 60 amp breaker is for one conductor only.

Sounds like someone needs some help figuring out the proper circuit overcurrent protection and wire sizes.

1 Like

Looks like a Sqaure D breaker. Square D makes breakers that allow double lugging.
Wire size is still incorrect.

Chuck

Yeah, to top it off a guy was back and forth doing stuff while I was there with my client. She was told he is the guy who does their HVAC and electrical work and he is a licensed electrician. If that’s true its just scarry. I would freak you out if I sent you the rest of the pics from the electrical home owner specials in this one…from their “electrician”

I’ve seen the type like below but none for a 60amp breaker.

Elec-Sq-D breaker.jpg

2 Likes

Agree. I believe the Squared D breakers that are designed for double lug are only single pole, no 220.

1 Like

The Square D QO(B) breakers that accept two conductors only go up to 30A, single pole.

1 Like

Where does it only say single poles can accept two conductors? It is raining and late otherwise I would walk to the truck.

you’re right - it doesn’t

It does say the single poles are rated for switching duty. This is normally only in a commercial setting where there are no wall switches.

The breaker manufacturer is not the governing body for electrical issues, it is the NEC. Also the reason you do not want two 12 gauge wire on a 20 amp breaker is that under normal circumstances a 20 amp circuit does no pull over 13 amp draw. If you have two appliance plugged in, under normal load they could both pull 13 amps or putting a load of 26 amps which will trip the breaker. The more a breaker trips the weaker the springs and the easier it trips. The building owner will be running back and forth constantly resetting the breaker. Eventually the weak breaker will not reset and breaker will need to be replaced. Circuit draw as most on this web site determines the size of the wire which determines the size of the breaker. You cannot use two wire of smaller gauge to double the size of the breaker.
In the example of two 10 gauge wires on a 60 amp breaker, as combined two 10 gauge wires are still only capable of carrying 30 amps before they could catch on fire. Essentially two 10 gauge wires are considered single gauge wires, not the same as one stranded 6 or 4 gauge wire.
The electrician was probably an apprentice who worked on someone else’s license which is common on residential electrical, but is supposed to be reviewed by a master electrician who is supposed to sign off on any non masters work. The city inspector should catch this when he re-inspects for the building permit.

1 Like

Not sure why you thought it necessary to resurrect a six-year-old zombie thread that already had the correct information provided, but to address your first point: The circuit breakers are listed devices. As such the NEC says to do as the manufacturer specifies

Best to leave zombie threads in the ground.

1 Like

Not only a zombie thread, but with incorrect information also.

Let this remain a zombie thread.

First of all I would not matter asfar as the point about 20 ampcircuit and #12 wire if you have two appliances plugged into a 20amp circuit that each draw 13 amps you are going to overload the circuit anyways. Fortunately most new residential appliances 120vlt are not going to draw more than 12.5 amps or 1500 watts. Next time you buy a space heater small or large read the specs they never exceed 1500 watts and generally are all the sa, .So the wiring method and over current device are doing their job correctly if u plug two of them into the same circuit. Why I always prefer each Gfci outlet in bathrooms to be a dedicated circuit. Same with laundry room outlets where an iron is likely to be used. Certainly theres an issue with the initial cost but looping five gfci protected outlets together in the bathrooms and laudry room is always a recipe for future troubles

Hello everyone. New inspector here that has not inspected a house yet on my own. I am looking for a good way to write a narrative about a double tap on a 20 amp breaker.

Here is the one I use for any breaker double taps on single-tap only breakers…

“More than one conductor was attached to a circuit breaker designed for single-conductor attachment only.
Attaching multiple conductors to circuit breakers designed for only a single conductor may create a safety hazard and should be avoided.
Recommendation: Consult with a qualified electrical contractor to make corrections as needed.”

1 Like

A breaker is considered “double tapped” when two or more wires are connected to the hot terminal. Many circuit breakers are only designed to hold one circuit, and adding more is dangerous.

Double taps are problematic because they make it so the circuits cannot be isolated.
So, if work needs to be done, the electrician is going to have a tough time.
But, the main reason double tapped panels are a huge issue, is because of their connection.
While they may seem like they’re holding on tight, they can become loose at any time.
And when they do it can lead to overheating, arcing, and even a fire.

What was the brand of breaker? There might not be an issue.

2 Likes