Double-tapped Square D

QO breakers have allowed two conductor for at least four decades. Forget the label in post #1. If you pulled the CB you will see the wiring combinations on the side which clearly indicate two conductors when using the properly sized combinations.

Makes me wonder why these get called out as a defect. This is not a recent change that the training has not caught up with.

I too have inspected hundreds - but have never seen, or maybe not noticed this label. I was told long ago, in some workshop or seminar - that as a rule, Square D breakers are good for 2 conductors, but not all - to look at the label. Just for my frame of mind, I’m going to call the manufacturer tomorrow.

Good call Andrew, and thanks for starting this thread I might learn something too. Never too old to learn. LOL

I simply am amazed at the amount of time and emphasis that gets put on double taps, by so many inspectors, for something that is so trivial, and quite frankly, stupid, in the grand scheme of things.

Yes! And you just proved it.:smiley:

According to the manufacturer - that label does not mean anything. QO breakers will always accept 2 conductors (depending on size of the conductor). The only place on the breaker is on the side, embossed to show this…
So, I was taught wrong… I can’t remember ever seeing this in the past, but I’ll know now! Thanks everyone!

Thanks for looking into it Andrew. I believe there are quite a few HI’s that have been calling it wrong or taught wrong.

Great info thanks. I will have to remember this!

Good to know, Andrew…:slight_smile:

Thanks!

I found posts that relate and explain the same thing as on this thread that dates back to 2007.
I guess some of us must have missed reading them. LOL

This has been a very informative post. I’ve always just looked at the pressure plate on Square D’s to determine if they could take two (that way I don’t have to put on my readers).

And, in the grand scheme of things, it is anything but stupid and trivial. The vast majority of double taps are done on terminals not designed for it and by amatures - I’ve seen plenty of melted / heated up / arc burns on wires at the breaker and at the neutral bus because of double taps.

Maybe you should warn your clients that you don’t think bad connections in their panel are a big deal and that they are “stupid”?

My two cents worth: if conductor is aluminum “one” allowed. If copper, "two conductors allowed ?