Drain termination

This is a washer drain located in the garage and next to the laundry supply lines there is a sink. Both the drain for the sink and the washer terminate at the exterior of the home using a Discharge and Backwash Hose which are usually used for pools. Any recommendations? I’m thinking it probably has improper venting since it’s not connected to the DWV pipes, but haven’t been able to find anything about terminating drain pipes at the exterior like shown.

Uploading: 0745A961-897A-44E3-876F-13106E3625D6.jpeg…
Uploading: 2E7617EB-DF0D-4DB7-A444-D55F2ABDB122.jpeg…
Processing: F24DE11D-1526-4AD1-9DFC-18FEEA9FEF6A.jpeg…
Uploading: C3F196E6-6ABB-40C7-BCEC-56FF5B0F682E.jpeg…
Uploading: 01919755-8758-4346-B7C6-605A3555379E.jpeg…

Can you reload the pictures?

1 Like

It’s good enough for the neighborhood.

PS: what would you do if this was your house?

2 Likes

How many times must one empty the bucket before taking 3 minutes to fix the drain?

Seriously though, I highly doubt discharging household waste water to the exterior ground surface is allowed in your area, but you can check with your local AHJ to be sure.

2 Likes

I don’t know any where in the country where they allow you to discharge grey water into anything other than the sanitary system. Call it out for correction.

On another note, why are they discharging it to the exterior? Are they on septic? Do they have fouled drain pipes? Things you should be considering.

3 Likes

Colorado and a number of western states allow the reuse of greywater, however you can’t just dump it straight out of the house onto the ground.

2 Likes

I’m not sure, I think it was just a lazy job to be able to add a laundry in the garage. The home is not on septic.

1 Like

This is California code.
@ymartin Check your areas AHJ

1502.2 System Requirements

Gray water shall be permitted to be diverted away from a sewer or private sewage disposal system, and discharge to a subsurface irrigation or subsoil irrigation system, or disposal field. The gray water shall be permitted to discharge to a mulch basin for residential occupancies. Gray water shall not be used to irrigate root crops or food crops intended for human consumption that come in contact with soil.

2 Likes

@ndegaris thank you for pointing me in the right direction. This is what I’ve found so far but I’ll keep looking to see if I find anything different

“ Plumbing fixtures, drains and appliances used to receive or discharge liquid wastes or sewage shall be directly connected to the sanitary drainage system of the building or premises, in accordance with the requirements of this code. This section shall not be construed to prevent indirect waste systems.

Exception: Bathtubs, showers, lavatories, clothes washers and laundry trays are not required to discharge to the sanitary drainage system where those fixtures discharge to an approved gray water recycling system. Any sewage that discharges from the building must be connected to a sanitary drainage system of the building or premises. The sanitary drainage system shall discharge either to public sewer or to an onsite sewage treatment and disposal system in accordance with the State of Florida Standards for Onsite Sewage Treatment and Disposal Systems, Chapter 64E-6, Florida Administrative Code.

2 Likes

What part of any of that mess looks acceptable to you (or any HI)?

Yes, a plumber needs to correct all of it, including the improper termination.
The whole thing, not dribs and drabs.

3 Likes

And this
1502.1.1 [HCD 1] Clothes Washer System

Gray water may be released above the ground surface provided at least two (2) inches (51 mm) of mulch, rock, or soil, or a solid shield covers the release point. Other methods which provide equivalent separation are also acceptable.

• Gray water systems shall be designed to minimize contact with humans and domestic pets.
  • Water used to wash diapers or similarly soiled or infectious garments shall not be used and shall be diverted to the building sewer.
  • Gray water shall not contain hazardous chemicals derived from activities such as cleaning car parts, washing greasy or oily rags, or disposing of waste solutions from home photo labs or similar hobbyist or home occupational activities.
1 Like

1 Like

Depending on your definition of “anywhere in the country”, The Republic of California does. Here’s a local AHJ info sheet on the design aspect:

Competent plumbing still matters.
There must be a three-way diversion valve, accessible so the operator can send bad stuff down the sewer.
Never store Graywater or Greywater.

More information is available at advocacy sites:

Keep in mind California ranges from surplus to drought. Even record snowfalls in the last weeks are not enough to break the current drought. Weather patterns averages have shifted steadily over the last twenty years or so, regarding rainfall. Locally there’s concern over how to sustain the current level of population and agribusiness, in the new climate. Graywater/greywater and sewage reprocessing are big topics despite high profile risks mostly related to improper drain disposal of drugs and metals.

2 Likes

1 Like

Say no more. This is a small lesson in what not to do. Want to grow some soapy plants? Just do what the knuckleheads in California do.

3 Likes

Closed loop agriculture systems were the dominant type for millennium. Now we’re running out of stuff, for example:

With the right soaps, laundry to landscape works fine, provides plant nutrients. If you want it to fail, you can make it fail. If you want it to work, it can work, see above.

That looks like… cardboard… on the inside where the pipe runs through the exterior wall? What’s that about?

See above for how greywater can work.
Is this a Florida installation?
Florida apparently bans outdoor greywater use, presumably due to high aquifers with lots of cross connections, but is OK with it for toilet flushing.