Drones for new inspectors

I also have the Mavic Pro. IMO, it is more stable in the wind than the Mavic mini.

3 Likes

Pro Definitely more stable, more advanced.

My neighbor has a lot of experience with drones and uses the mini with excellent results.

Downside is the costs.

He was just starting out and his Pro got stuck in a tree. Firefighters were called and they used a hose to knock it out of tree. Ruined the pro and he didn’t have the cash to get another.

He does roof inspection, real estate photos, and commercials for businesses.

Of course me being an a-hole reported him to the FAA cause he kept flying over my house.

1 Like

Thank you sir. I appreciate it.

Looks like I should have let the discussion go longer before I pulled the trigger. Last night, I purchased the mavic mini 2 fly more combo when most of the comments suggested the mini. Now it’s almost an even split between the mini and the pro. Thank you all for your input. I’ll let you know how it works out. :+1:

2 Likes

You’re good :+1: practice with the mini first at least.

When done with mini you got a backup or you can easily sell it to a recreational user.

If you can predict wind with the mini the pro will be cake

Oh and don’t forget 107 rules :wink: or I’ll narc on you with the FAA lol

1 Like

I have the Mavic Pro Platinum.

2 Likes

Mini is awesome for inspections. Mini 2 is likely similar/slightly better.
Cheap enough to replace if you crunch it.
Gotta get your part 107 if US based.

2 Likes

I havent compared all the weights yet.

Thank you sir.

No worries. I already have my part 107 certificate. :+1:

I use a DJI Phantom 4 Pro. I highly recommend it. Now, since the Phantom 5 is being released, I am sure you will be able to find a 4 for a good price!

1 Like

That is a good one and very stable in even moderate winds. But pricey.

1 Like

I agree with Joseph. I have the Mavic 2 Zoom. Same drone as Pro but with zoom. The Zoom comes in handy around trees where you can’t get as close as you would like. The smaller drones aren’t as stable in wind that’s why I pretty quickly upgraded from the Mavic Air.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice. I already ordered the dji mini 2. We’ll see if that works out in the short term. If it doesn’t, I’ll surely upgrade to the zoom or the Aultel Evo 2.

My Pro Platinum has a zoom. But think it’s only times two

Aaron, another thing to share is that the DJI’s will only transfer pictures when it’s plug into your computer, phone or tablet. And it has to be turned on to do so. To avoid this “hassle” I purchased a HDMI Card Reader that plugs into my iPad. I pop the card out of the drone and download the pics straight to my iPad where I do my reports from.

Don’t have to worry about turning the drone on and it go through gimbal check etc.

1 Like

I transfer my pics on site wirelessly from my DJI Mavic 2 Zoom to my iPad. Pics don’t take long but video takes a while. Just hit play button from the heads up display then batch select pics and hit the download button on the low left. I do this right after I land then shut everything down. No need to connect direct with the micro SD adaptor.

2 Likes

Thank you sir. I appreciate it.

Thanks for the tip Jeremy! I’ll have to see if I have that option also. One less step is always good.