Dryer sheets potential hazard

I just got this email from an appliance tech that has done service for my clients.

Not so sure about all of the info but our lint filter did hold water and required further cleaning to remove the “film”

An ounce of prevention couldn’t hurt.

Dryer Info…FOR REAL

**INFO ABOUT CLOTHES DRYERS: The heating unit went out on my dryer! The gentleman that fixes things around the house for us told us that he wanted to show us something and he went over to the dryer and pulled out the lint filter. It was clean. (I always clean the lint from the filter after every load clothes.) He told us that he wanted to show us something; he took the filter over to the sink, ran hot water over it. The lint filter is made of a mesh material - I’m sure you know what your dryer’s lint filter looks like. WELL…the hot water just sat on top of the mesh! It didn’t go through it at all! He told us that dryer sheets cause a film over that mesh that’s what burns out the heating unit. You can’t SEE the film , but it’s there. It’s what is in the dryer sheets to make your clothes soft and static free - that nice fragrance too, you know how they can feel waxy when you take them out of the box, well this stuff builds up on your clothes and on your lint screen. This is also what causes dryer units to catch fire & potentially burn your house down with it! He said the best way to keep your dryer working for a very long time (& to keep your electric bill lower) is to take that filter out & wash it with hot soapy water & an old toothbrush (or other brush) at least every six months. He said that makes the life of the dryer at least twice as long! How about that!?! Learn something new everyday! I certainly didn’t know dryer sheets would do that. So , I thought I’d share! **[FONT=‘Comic Sans MS’][size=4]
**Note: I went to my dryer & tested my screen by running water on it. The water ran through a little bit but mostly collected all the water in the mesh screen. I washed it with warm soapy water & a nylon brush & I had it done in 30 seconds. Then when I rinsed it the water ran right Thru the screen! There wasn’t any puddling at all! That repairman knew what he was talking about!

PLEASE PASS THIS ON TO OTHER PEOPLE IN YOUR ADDRESS BOOK. NOT ONLY COULD IT SAVE SOMEONE’S HOME , BUT IT COULD SAVE SOMEONE’S LIFE**

[/size][/FONT]

Thanks Barry.
fortunatly for us.
My wife and and I exceptionally reactive to smells including mould, smoke perfume, etcetera,so we use odour free dryer sheets, I could find no build up in our lint trap water went right through .
Great tip … Cookie

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/d/dryer-sheets.htm

Here’s the note from Frigidaire

http://www.frigidaire.com/support/FAQ-Dryer.asp

Dryer Sheets.gif

Great Info

HELP editing comment???

It has been proven that dryer sheets can cause a film to build up over the mesh on the lint filter that may not be visibly detectable. This can block the filter using more energy to dry a load of clothes, cause the dryer to overheat shortening the life expectancy or potentially cause a fire. Remove the lint filter, wash it in hot soapy water lightly scrubbing with an old toothbrush or other soft bristle brush rinse in clear water and thoroughly dry before reinstalling. Perform this task at least every six months. This is also a great time to inspect all of your dryer connections and clean the flue and vent damper.

FWIW, I would write it as “Some manufacurers recommend…” rather than “It has been proven…”.

Good info. Thanks, Barry.

Here is some info from Truth or Fiction.

More good info. Thanks, Mike.

Some manufacturers caution that dryer sheets can cause a film to build up over the mesh on the lint filter that may or may not be visible. This film can block the filter preventing the proper flow of air through the unit causing the dryer to overheat which could lead to a fire. In the very least, this film can shorten the life expectancy of the dryer. Client should read the manufacturers warning regarding the use of dryer sheets to determine if there is a real risk with this particular manufacturer. Washing the lint filter in hot soapy water has been found to be good at removing the film deposited by dryer sheets. Perform this cleaning at least every six months. This is also a great time to inspect all of your dryer connections and clean the flue and vent damper.

That has been around for years. In 2002, I distributed a flyer on the same subject.

One time I walked around for the better part of a day with a dryer sheet inside my shirt. They’re diabolical!

I put 3-4 in each time I run the dryer… Definitely going to do that the instant I get home.

Heck, this thread has been around for years! :wink:

Everything old is new again…

Dryer sheets are also good for removing love bugs from you car