The ductwork is improperly patched with duct tape instead of being mechanically secured and sealed, resulting in visible gaps and loose edges that cause air leakage and reduce HVAC efficiency. Repairs require correctly fitted sheet-metal sections secured with screws. Alternatively, if conditioned air is desired in this space, a properly installed duct vent should be added.
The image and the narrative are both without context. What are we looking at? Is this a return or supply? I don’t see gaps, but I do see screws which suggests that that something is mechanically fastened. What is on the other side of the tape? Why are you making a recommendation to add a “duct vent”? You can’t just pop a register into a duct and call it conditioned space. Did you verify that the furnace and/or condensing was adequately sized to add additional heating/cooling zones? Any mention of adding a supply or return register should also include a recommendation to relocate the smoke detector.
I think I would have just went with, “Substandard repairs were made to ductwork” and left it at that. Is this another AI generated narrative?
I am about in the same place. I agree that context is important. With no more info than the photo, I don’t see a defect, just an observation. Based on the just the photo, I would have commented that “a register is closed off with duct tape” and moved on.
Now…if I see that that register is a return air, I am going to analyze with a more critical eye. Closing a supply will not materially upset the balance of the HVAC system, but with only a few return air ducts in a typical system, closing one of those can have a negative effect on the HVAC. And the size and shape of that register boot, looks more like a return.
Brian Hill
Professional Master Home Inspector
InterNACHI OH license 2019005340
Hill Home Inspection LLC
(330) 503-2888
I have a feeling this topic was for SEO after looking at his first and last post, no questions, no interaction, sigh. Imagine 30,000 members individually creating topics like this for SEO.
You are correct—I posted that photo with some initial observations just to see how other inspectors would handle it.
Seeing everyone else’s comments and concerns is a great way to learn what other inspectors look for and how they communicate those findings to clients.
Beyond the primary issue of using duct tape for repairs—which is definitely not an acceptable method—several other concerns stand out in this photo:
Potential asbestos materials
Rusting ductwork
Non-functioning smoke detectors
An outdated HVAC system (with venting running to the exterior)
Hopefully, this topic adds some good value to the forum for everyone looking to sharpen their skills.
I would report on the possible asbestos. I would report on (what looks like) improperly secured electrical cables, and (what looks like) knob and tube wiring. More than likely I would report that the (what looks like) CSST gas line is not bonded, because it never is in my area. I would report on the old alarm, which probably doesn’t work
. I don’t know, based on the one pic, the duct tape might be the lowest thing on the list, and may not even make my report, depending on the HVAC configuration.
I don’t see any CSST, I see CPVC.
Agreed. The duct tape is just a homeowner preference. They don’t want that area conditioned for whatever reason.
I do not understand why the OP keeps posting AI narratives, all of which are crap.
Oh, I think you’re right, lol. I don’t get much CPVC in my area (thankfully), so my mind went right to CSST. I see a little CPVC, but not much. I don’t like that stuff, and apparently most people in my area don’t either.
They didn’t do a terrible job actually. Better than a rag stuffed in the opening at least. My Mom hired a handy man a few years ago to come fix a leaking spigot. He wrapped it with electrical tape. When she told me, I said I would come out to just replace the spigot. The handyman actually did a pretty good job with the tape. Must have used a whole roll, but it was nice and tight and didn’t leak! So, I guess he fixed it!
California has two requirements for us home inspectors to include in our reports per the Business and Professions Code (we’re an unlicensed state). One of the two involves CSST so I’m always on the lookout. Its a default narrative in my software so I have to uncheck it if I don’t find any.
Do you ever find it properly bonded with the special bonding requirement (yellow CSST only)? I think in my 5 or 6 years, I’ve only found it properly bonded twice. It is one of my most used comments in the “Fuel Supply” section of my reports.
As an amateur gas heater installer
, I installed some CSST in my shop a few years ago and bonded it correctly to the panel.
I don’t check bonding on CSST. California does not believe that I’m qualified to do so, so I don’t waste my time. I have to refer it out to a licensed electrician. Here’s the California Business and Professions Code regarding CSST:
I don’t think you are alone in Cal. I think some other states require immediate referral as well. Not the worst thing I guess. I have two callouts, one for when I can see the entire gas line routing and know for certain it isn’t properly bonded, and one for when parts of the gas piping system can’t be observed, so I can’t be certain if it is or is not properly bonded.
But be honest a more thorough observation always starts with the presence of duct tape.. ![]()
no shit. that would be along the lines of creating a birthday post for 30,000 members to get additional forum traffic and then bragging about having more interactions than others…



