Dumb Question - Air Gap?

I think he is comparing the ASHI to the NACHI test.

In Illinois we have to take a state test anyway,so the association means less from that particular standpoint.

Personally I find all this difference in test method arguing a joke.
One might as well say a good paper test makes the Inspector or that if you score high you will do better in the field.

That just plays into people thinking they can be a Home Inspector with zero hands on trade experience.

As long as they take the “right” test they are somehow more qualified.
“What a joke.”

The bottom line is verified certification.

Bob, last year, an Electrical Contractor that does most of our work hired an Electrical Inspector because he lost his job as Code Enforcement for Electrical. They used him for a year on one of my jobs and thereafter and finally let him go.
The guy just could not do the work but new the code book inside out.
Had to wear gloves for everything and was always concerned about his hair etc. I new he was not going to last in working the trade. Did not have a clue on a Commercial Project.
There are a lot of people like that, whom can be book smart and not have a clue as to how things get done.
Having an idea as to why a code exist and why it was consumated and how work gets done plays a big part in the effectiveness of a Home Inspector also.
Like you said, passing all the right test or any test does not make them more qualified then the one taking a test with a low score but passing and has years of related background in the field. :slight_smile: