Condensate drain, water heater pan drain and water conditioner drain

Hi, I’m a new home inspector and I had a question for you experts out there. I found this in a water heater closet. It’s a drain pipe that has the condensate line in it, the overflow from the water heater pan and the discharge line from a water conditioner. I live in Texas and want to say that one of my instructors said this is a deficiency. Thoughts?

What do you think might be improper about it? Are any of the drains you mentioned not allowed to be terminated in this manner? Do any of them require an air gap? If the drain is connected to the sewer, is it trapped? Is the trap at risk of losing its seal with what’s there? Where does the wh t&p discharge terminate?

These are my thoughts. I wouldn’t give any thought to what your instructor might say unless they can substantiate their opinion with specifics.

If the potable water supply can’t be contaminated then no ‘air gap’ is necessary. Looks good to me. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Discharge from a water softener into a waste receptor with no air gap constitutes a potential cross connect.

I believe each jurisdiction has their own code on that.

Based on the photo provided I can not see any definitive defect that a ‘generalist’ home inspector would have knowledge of. I do not provide code inspections nor do I comment on water softeners which are excluded both in the sop and my contract. Furthermore I do not pepper my reports with hypothetical speculative comments to feed my ego.

A potential cross connect of the potable water supply is a reportable condition, whether you inspect the water treatment system itself or not.

BTW: You spend plenty of effort on your ego, just not your inspections.

1 Like

I don’t report on ‘potential’ anything, just facts.

BTW Take your bullshit somewhere else.

It would be a potential for a cross connection. He was a master plumber so he was pretty hard on the plumbing side. I guess the question is, should that be written in the report and is it deficient?

You’re potentially full of crap. Never reported a potential life safety hazard???

Get your shit straight. The potable water supply CAN be contaminated by failure to prevent a cross connection due to improper piping of the discharge, just like improper gfci presents a potential shock hazard, bad steps a potential fall hazard, missing flashing a potential leak…

My condolences to your clients.

2 Likes

I can’t see what’s out of frame. If there is no approved backflow protection (e.g. air gap device) upstream, then yes the TREC SOP requires reporting of backflow prevention deficiencies.

Try to pay attention this time… :exploding_head:

FROM THE FRIGGIN’ PHOTO… There is no defect present! Cross contamination is not possible, water doesn’t flow uphill. I caution you not frighten your customers with exaggeration and ego aggrandizement.

Then there is no need for backflow prevention and anti-siphon devices on any potable water supply…

Let it go. You don’t understand the topic and are ignorant of the TREC SOP. You’re just embarrasing yourself now Mr. Mueller

Let it go yourself, quit speculating on stuff you obviously don’t understand. Scaring your clients like a big boogeyman!

BTW who passed your licensing test for you? Is that your license number or your zip code? :laughing:

siphoning can create a very powerful suction, it can empty your entire above ground pool in a jiffy :smiley: It is, however, a hard concept to grasp until you play around with it.