E&O Insurance. (or lack there of)

Originally Posted By: ssmith3
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

ATTENTION NEW INSPECTORS!!!

In California there is no law requiring E&O Insurance but,.....

Realtors for the most part will now throw you a bone unless you carry it, AND.....

NO ONE WILL INSURE YOU!!!! UNLESS you have 2-3 years of HI experience, xx hours of "approved" classroom training, etc, etc.

I have Plunked down some FAT money to start into this business only to find that you can't get insurance to CYA. The first lawsuit you could be living under some bridge while the SOB is in YOUR house driving YOUR car!!!

IF SOMEONE has/knows someone that is insuring new inspectors WITHOUT all the strings attached that some are putting in the application PLEASE let me know. My phone # is 415-849-4978

Thank You

Scott Smith

Scott Smith

Marinspection

Vice President NorCal NACHI Chapter

I graduated from collage. Now my life is all mixed up.

Originally Posted By: jpope

If I were an insurance carrier, I would not insure a teenage kid that has no drivers license, but insists that he’s a good driver.

E&O in CA for inspectors (as far as I can tell) isn't much different than other states.

Training and/or experience go a long way in protecting everyone involved. Insurance is only a safety net.

Allan Insurance insures ITA grads at a rate comparable to seasoned veterans. If you have no formal training at this point, spend the equivalent of one years premium on a nationally recognized training course. The benefit will be far greater than cheaper premiums.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: rbracklow

Jeff,

You're so mean!! grrrrrrrrr! ![icon_evil.gif](upload://1gvq2wV2azLs27xp71nuhZOKiSI.gif) ![icon_evil.gif](upload://1gvq2wV2azLs27xp71nuhZOKiSI.gif)

"If I were an insurance carrier, I would not insure a teenage kid that has no drivers license, but insists that he's a good driver"

Scott is a good guy and is trying to do his best - he is very frutrated at not being able to obtain E&O insurance, and he has taken courses!

Ron.

Originally Posted By: dharris

Education and experience?

The way I read nachi marketing is all you need to do is send nick 289.00,
take the test. [somebody else can do it for you if you can't pass, nobody will know]. Why would I need training? After meeting all these tough qualifications, that only 40% do, I'm certified and nachi will provide all the marketing I need along with informing the real estate community, All other inspectors are blind
As far as liability. NO Problem, use the nachi inspection agreement, Why bother with E&O.

Is this a reason ashi is always suing nick?

No Mr Pres. I am not a spy for ashi. Actually I'm one of the guys like Russell Kirk made mention of. Been a ashi member for over 3 yrs. volunteered , and never got a call. Thought maybe I could share my limited knowledge with new guys, in the nachi org

Yes Nick does a great job recruiting new members, One down fall is The national average in this business as well as anyother business is that 50% or more don't make it past the 1st year. Wouldn't be beneficial to renewing existing members as well? Besides creating another fancy title with like CMI

Yes,since you asked I am a part time instructor at Az Sun Tech. If your in Phx April 24th I'm doing the Mobile Home Inspection course, your welcome to attend

Dan Harris Inspect Az

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

FREA insures new inspectors. The premium is around $1000 higher in year 1, than in year 2…

Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Several Insurance Companies insure brand new inspectors without field experience, as long as they have successfully completed an approved training course. We hold 6 day, 8 day, and 12 day training classes in Kansas City at PITI (Professional Inspection Training Institute) that are approved by NACHI, NAHI, ASHI and by several licensed states.

That I can think of - we've had students come from Arkansas, Florida, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Iowa, Wyoming, Montana, New Mexico, Idaho, Illinois, Maine, Utah, California, Indiana, Minnesota, Ohio, Colorado, Michigan, Tennessee, and Georgia. To date, I've never yet had one of our students tell me they couldn't get E&O Insurance.

Did you go to an On-Site Classroom training school?? If so, you probably haven't looked very hard for coverage. If not, then you've probably got your answer!

Dan Bowers