EGC has there been a change?

I did a new home last week wrote up no ground to the panel , Builder says it is grounded at the meter which it is, however no ground present in the panel. just neutral , and L1, L2 and no it is not a metal chase or conduit . Has this changed recently ? Builder says this is acceptable . PS i did not see the state approval sticker for final inspection.

If you’r referring to the connection between the meter enclosure and the panel (service disconnect) then no EGC is required. In fact installing one would be a violation of NEC 250.6.

All metallic parts on the line side of the service disconnect are bonded directly to the neutral conductor. That would include within the meter enclosure and by the green bonding screw in the panel. An EGC or bonding jumper connecting the panel and the meter enclosure would be in parallel with the neutral and would make the EGC and metal parts part of the neutral path.

Well i screwed that up . I meant, is not required to have a ground coming into the panel .

Just about all of the installations in my area have the GEC at the meter box.

And panel? all i ever seen have a ground into the panel too .

Same here. 99% of homes in my wide spread area built within the last 20 years have 4 wires (H+H+N+G) from meter to service disconnect. Last week I had one same as yours Wayne, new construction, passed by the local AHJ. I had to call them to be sure they allowed it.

So they allowed it Chris? just doesn’t seem right to me

Nope, just the neutral from the meter box. Are we the only ones doing it right?:cool:

They allowed it. Not sure why. Same home had a 3-prong dryer receptacle.

Me either. It’s hard to believe the other thousand plus houses I’ve inspected in several counties all got it wrong.

From the meter to the service only needs to be 3 wires.

Was the bond screw installed ?

True. But don’t you need a grounding electrode conductor connected to grounding electrode (ground rod)?

Yes it was

So if it is like the first photo no problem. Second and third photo are what I normally see.

Second photo you cannot tell what the bare conductor is so (could be a GEC) you cannot make a determination from the photo if it’s correct or not. In the third photo the bare conductor is a bonding jumper which is required for the metal raceway containing service entrance conductors.

I know what the bare conductors are being used for in both photos.
Second photo is a GEC. Just curious why many I see have a GEC coming from meter (2nd photo), then a few, as in first photo don’t.

Same here Chris . It was a first for me .

EGC’s, equipment grounding conductors, are run with the branch circuit or feeder wiring.

GEC’s, grounding electrode conductors, run to electrodes like water lines and rod.

Jim the confusion is I put egc instead of GEC in the title sorry about that

What Wayne and I are saying is that this is what we’re used to seeing. From today.