Electric Panel

Originally Posted By: jmyers
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Yesterday I inspected an electric panel and the ground/neutral bar has visible signs of corrosion on it.

Is it necessary to have the corrosion cleaned off the wires and ground/neutral bar?

I recommended correction but I am not certain it was necessary.

Anyone out there want to offer some help here?

Joe

--
Joe Myers
A & N Inspections, Inc.
http://anii.biz

Ok, so none of the great home inspectors can answer this one? What is going on with you people? You darn snobs! :wink:

Joe Myers

A & N Inspections, Inc.

Originally Posted By: Ben Gromicko

Joe, we are all busy working. :smiley:

Benjamin John Gromicko

Vice-President,

PEACH Inspections

NACHI & ASHI Member

Oh, you mean you finally went out and found a REAL JOB Ben!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Joe Myers

--
Joe Myers
A & N Inspections, Inc.

Originally Posted By: John Davco Jr.

Joe,

The corrosion on or in a electrical panel is a sign water or moisture is getting in .

You are correct to have a electrician clean off the corrosion. Sooner or later you could have a bad connection on the neutral side of the circuit. I have found that water enters thru the meter base or outsde service cable. Inspect cable for cracks in the jacket covering.

Jack

Thanks Jack,

The service entrace cable was badly cracked at the entrance head and drip loop so I recommended they replace it. Since I did that they would certainly notice if water is entering the meter base which will be my saving grace.

How do you inspect the inside of the meter panel? Do you open them?

Joe Myers

--
Joe Myers
A & N Inspections, Inc.

Joe M,

Glad I could help.The service cable sounds like the problem. When the Electrician replaces the service cable he should clean or replace the meter base.

As for the inspection of a meter base I only know because of my expierence as a electrician, if the cable is bad above the meterbase you can bet the base is bad.

Most utility companys require you to have the service inspected by a electrical inspector or city electrical inspector if the seal on the meter is broken.

Jack,

Rust on the exterior of the meter base is not really the concern, correct? The bigger question is why is it rusting, like water penetration?

What are your thoughts?

Joe Myers

--
Joe Myers
A & N Inspections, Inc.

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Joe,

A little rust on the exterior of the meter pan (base) is pretty common (at least in this area). Of course, it depends on how old the meter pan is, of course. Most folks paint them, when and if they paint the exterior of the house. I check the seal at entry/exit. If it looks to be pliable/not cracked/tight, the interior is probably okay. Take a long hard look at the entry cable. If its cracked or frayed, you could get some water penetration.

Jack, I disagree (nicely, of course) with your statement that if the seal on the pan is broken, it usually requires a peek at by electrician or inspector. The inspection takes place BEFORE the meter is set. Once the meter is set, the pan is sealed by the utility. If the tag has been removed, the only party that should (and will) inspect the inside of the pan is the utility company. When the meter is read, the seal is checked. If the seal is missing/broken, the contents/connections within the assembly are checked for tampering of any type. If the connections, pan, or contents are faulty, modified, or somehow defective, the homeowner will be notified. If a truly dangerous condition exists, power may be shut off at the service head.

Again, the inspection is performed before the meter is set/installed. Once its sealed by the utility, the rule is to keep out...

Joe F

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Read my post, and for clarification, I am speaking of 2 seals; the physical seal at the entry/exit points, and the “tag” or meter seal placed by the utility company. Jack is absolutely correct at his assessment of sorrosion within the electrical panel. My guess is water travelling down the cable anto into the panel. This may be from moisture/water within the meter pan itself, or water travelling down the cable and entering the dwelling that way. Jack is also correct in his claim that most electricians will recomment changing the pan when the service cable is replaced. The labor is about the same, and the pan, itself, is pretty cheap. Besides that, they are mitigating their risk against mishap by putting a brandy-new meter pan in.

But, as to Joe M's question as to inspecting the inside of the meter pan (base), this is where I meant to call it a tag, instead of a seal. The tag is an indicator that the pan may have been opened or tampered-with. This was what I was (confusedly) speaking of. In the end, it didn't matter...

Joe

--
Joe Farsetta

Joe F,

You are correct about the seal tag being broken at the meter and the utility inspecting the meterbase. The reason is for unauthorized people entering the meterbase. Joe I believe we are on the same page on this. As for water and corrosion in the meter it also comes in from the water tight connector on the top of the meter base,should be sealed with duct seal putty.

Jack

Now, Now boys lets fight nicely! :slight_smile:

Anyway, thanks to both of you for the help. It has truly been informative and helpful. Not that I would ever break the seal and take a peak inside the meter panel......I am smart enough to know I always have someone behind me to catch me....just in case :)

--
Joe Myers
A & N Inspections, Inc.

Joe M,

A fight takes two people and Joe F and I agree. Corrosion is bad and never break the seal without someone to be behind you as a spotter to catch you*********** just in case.

Jack… you the MAN! :smiley:

Joe Farsetta

And my wife said I would never be able to hold an intelligent conversation. What the HE** does she know anyway!

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: jremas

I just got to reading this post. There is some great information here. One thing that I will take from this is to remember to check for a tamper seal on the meter and report it’s presence or absence during the time of my inspection. As far as the corrosion,… needs to be taken care of by a qualified, licensed electrician IAW the local code. I had a customer have some really weird stuff happen in their house from dropping voltage on a phase at the meter base. I tracked it to the meter base and the electric company took care of the rest. Bad connection. Some very interesting things happen when you lose a phase or have a serious voltage drop on one of them.

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Just another one of my thoughts, no matter how incorrect it may be.

I for one have lost track of the broken seals at the meter panel. Does that mean someone was tampering with the meter. NOT REALLY.

When I see a indication that someone has pulled the meter and was playing with or replaced a service panel, then I will call it. Other than that the average person would not pull the meter. It would at least have to have been someone with a good idea of what they are doing. I jsut think that pulling a meter is above most people and most will not ever try. THANK GOD!

In my particular area, I called the electric company to come out an pull the meter so I could replace a bad main breaker. They told me to go ahead and pull it, or have a qualified electrician do it!! ?????????

Are you just as astounded as me? I doubt it! I was like well don't you want it inspected before the meter is replaced. The answer, NO! Just go ahead. ?????

Comments anyone?

Joe Myers

P.S. Just in case you are thinking this is hypothetical, its not. I was working on house for one of my wife's buyer(s). The main was spent and when I shut it off, you had to manipulate it to turn it back on. Instead of letting the house burn down, I went out and bought a new one a replaced it. Oh yeah, what if I did not know to put anti-oxidant on the aluminum wires?