Electrical Bonding Wires

Originally Posted By: Ben Gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Metal gas and water pipes in a house should be connected to the grounding bar inside the electrical panel. In case a copper water line becomes energized with some electricty, the bonding give a path for the loose electricity to go to back to the panel and trip the breaker.

Is the bonding wire required in NEC when the house has metal gas and/or water pipes?

Is a GEC (grounding-electrode conductor) installation required by NEC on all panels?

What about older electrical panel installations? Can I write in my report that, without regard to the house age or date of installation of the electrical panel, there must be installed according to NEC a GEC and a bonding wire?

Benjamin John Gromicko


PEACH Inspections