Electrical fixtures are causing Blue flashes of light

Originally Posted By: pgudek
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I did a inspection on a brand new home today. People have lived there for about a week. The flourescent over head light in the kitchen and a outlet in the master bedroom occasionally cause a brief flash of blue light. The kitchen light does it about once every twenty times it is turned on. The bedroom outlet will do it randomly when a fan is plugged into it. The light will pretty much illuminate the whole room for a split second. Has anyone encountered such a thing. I checked the ground rod connector and main panel. Every thing there was OK. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Originally Posted By: dbush

Peter, I don’t have much of an answer, but you might also repost this in the Electrical section. We have some sparkies that may only look at the Electrical section.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Peter,

Florescent lights are actually create an arc which produces light. My guess would be that you are seeing changes or creation of that arc.

Before I went and got too radical I would try changing the bulbs in the lights with a different brand or manufacturer.

If I still encountered no change, I would try replacing the ballast or the entire fixture, depending on the cost.

Have you ever seen a florescent light turned on when it is cold. They tend to flicker and flash for a little then the arc settles down and start producing a constant light.

Joe Myers

Thanks Joe,

That would kind of been my guess too, but it also happens from a bedroom recepticle. This is where the wife first noticed the problem. When she told her husband about it, he told her she was crazy. Then last night it happened to him when he turned on the kitchen light. Now they are all scared, and called me for a complete inspection of the home. It turns out the builders brother did the wiring and they don't want him back. If anyone has experienced this phenomenon, a chime would be welcome. Guesses too.

I'm kind of concerned for their safety with this house as I found basic items for a new home that were not done, such as TPR valve with no piping to the exterior, No smoke alarms installed. Anywhere. Service mast rose about ten feet up and was held to the siding with one clamp and one screw. The list goes on, but the electrical thing is just bizarre.

Originally Posted By: Greg Owens

ya’ll are probably right about the kitchen light but the receptacle in the bedroom has a short either the wires are not tightened securely to the terminals or the wires are shorting on something in that box

Originally Posted By: wcampbell

Joe M, I had to laugh when I read your post about the lights.

Back in the 80s I worked in a truck stop as a cook. Well we had a dishwasher/busboy who we called "Space Cadet". He was always coming to work STONED.

Well one night, he walked into the kitchen and looked up at the lights, as they were "moving back and forth". He stood there for about 10 min saying "Cooollll, Wowwww, Ohhhh, ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
This Ole House-Home Inspections
William A. Campbell TREC # 6372
Serving the Texas Coastal Bend
(361) 727-0602 (home)
(361) 727-0055 (office)
(361) 229-4103 (cell)

Thanks Greg,

I have a tester that I use to find out if wires are live. I put it near the recepticle and got a hot reading about one inch away from the cover plate. This was not the case when I tested other recepticles. Maybe the box is shorting to the wall studs and they are acting like a capacitor and releasing when a ground path is provided. What does anyone think?

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Will,

Believe it or not, when you are stoned, it does appear that you can see the arc moving back and forth in those tubes. Don't ask how I know that. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Peter,

Are these tubes or the round (incandescent style) florescents? Are we talking about metal or plastic boxes? If you are getting a hot reading about an inch away from the box, that would only mean that you have a pretty sensitive tester. I have had the same thing happen, wiring was fine when I opened the outlet. Are you talking about a standard florescent fixture, or an incandescent fixture with a florescent bulb?

I don't believe they can wire a ballast incorrectly, if I am not mistaken it simply won't work. Maybe a sparky here could verify that.

If they could recreate the condition for you while you are there, it may help diagnose the problem. Such as, vibrations are causing it, like closing or slamming a door. Walking on the floor by the light. Loose light switch or a loose wire on the light switch.

Like I said, I would start with the obvious and move up to the more serious and time consuming! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

BTW...that was my guess!

Joe Myers

Joe,

Thanks for the reply. I can pretty much say my clients were not stoned, as I saw the phenomenon myself. As a matter of fact they were accusing each other of the same thing. Being crazy. This is kind of bizarre, but my clients are concerned about their safety and so am I. I have a background in electronics and can maybe theorize about this situation, but I'm trying to draw on the knowledge of this board to help draw insight and opinion into the situation.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

First, check to make sure the fixture is grounded (a necessity on 40 watt rapid start lamps (your typical bi-pin fluorescent lamp and fixture). Then make sure the reflector is within 1/2" of the lamp. Then (or maybe first) make sure the lamp is properly positioned in the lamp holder (the little dimple or raised mark, varies by manufacturer, is perpendicular to the lamp holder (the lamp has been inserted properly with both prongs in the lamp holder and turned 90 degrees). Finally, if the lamp does not get warm enough, or cold air is blowing on it, some lamps do this.

It could also be the ballast, but start with the lamp.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida