Electrical Inspections by Home Inspectors

I know you don’t dare use … the National Electrical Code, but if you want to double check the most recent items related to dwellings, etc., look here.

http://www.mikeholt.com/download.php…NEC-1Part1.pdf

http://www.mikeholt.com/download.php…NEC-1Part2.pdf

Mike Holt is another Electrical Industry Expert who is willing to share his knowledge too. Go for it!

:slight_smile:

Says who?

Yeah, Who?

The NEC is VERY useful tool. :slight_smile:

Paul, Is there a web page (html) link that doesn’t link to the two 9+ Mb PDFs?

Jeff:

I know you do but what about those who are afraid to even pick one up?

You do a good job, and quoting the code nowadays is very prominent here on this board. :slight_smile:

You could buy the book from the author.

Thanks Joe!

More good stuff…

It’s the lawyers , I tell ya… the lawyers!!
Mention one code and you better be ready to cite ALL code related issues…

How many codes do you think a home inspector would have to know?
Try every area/section/ component that makes up an entire house!
More then my brain can possibly hold…:smiley:

:slight_smile: I buy lots of books Joe. I just prefer the portability and the immediacy of the Internet. Can’t get DSL or cable where live. Been waiting the very slow TELCO for 10 years! If I want a fast connection I go to the libray with my laptop in town.:slight_smile:

Micheal:

I too have dial up here on my desktop, laziness makes me use it and when I am here downloading in the background is not a problem. I am still downloading parts 3 and 4.

:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Pat:

I imagine that with a $200.00 Chicago Electrical Code that Lawyer is going to find some real code issues. Have you ever been involved in a court case and code issues?

Thanks Joe. You are an asset to this board and one of the best resources at NACHI. My connection crashed while I was writing this. I will try to be more patient.:slight_smile:

Without codes (all codes), the HI has no reference for what is right or wrong. It’s as simple as that.

Works for me.:slight_smile:

Luckily not yet:D, but I will tell you around here lawyers can be nasty bastards! I have worked for / with near two hundred at one of my last jobs and have 5 friends that practice various areas of law… Joe , I can tell you that a lawyer can look at a code and turn it against you in a heart beat!

I was told by my real estate lawyer friend that a home inspectors report can be used in both ways. Interpretation is key so even if that service equipment is a death trap waiting to happen it’s fine!:shock: It has to kill someone and kill a lot more at times before the class action law suit make a dent in the “accepted” standards…:frowning:

Now add the home owner or “uncle Larry” electrical work and someone gets hurt… You cite code when you inspect… Think it’s going to change the mind of your client? Most likely not but it will give your client the impression your a code inspector…with no enforcement power and a sellers lawyer on your a$$ telling your clients lawyer it’s O.K. they don’t have to worry about it…
The other part is when the sparkies tell your client “your home inspector is full of @#$%” … and “he doesn’t know what he is talking about”.:roll:

I would rather use " a safety issue"… :wink:

I agree with Jeff that an HI has very little to reference as a guide to assist with deciding what gets reported as (installation) defects except for an SOP and model codes (as “current construction standards”). A basic working knowledge of major provisions is sufficient, with a practical application. But reports should never call out defects as “violations” or reference code sections.

Just one … the International Residential Code (IRC). Also includes a real handy 70 page summary of the NEC requirements applicable to residential construction, with some diagrams … :wink:

I did not post the links…but their are alot of articles and so on at www.mikeholt.com to browse through.

Agreed Jeff, those who say that codes have no place in home inspection are just plain wrong, while we should not be trying to quote specific articles of codes we should be applying the principles behind them. Code changes are the result of prior failures and changes in technology and as HI we need to be aware of them.

Does thois mean that we should all be swatting the IRC or NEC, no probably not (unless you are doing new construction inspection) but any inspector who does not at the very least carry the “CodeCheck” series around with them is simply not providing the best service to his clients.

Regards

Gerry

Sorry for the confusion Paul. Of course I meant **MR. Tedesco.

**Mike Holt’s site is a very good resource that I use regularly and encourage others to as well.

Well said Gerry. I completely agree.

I agree…well stated Gerry

Don’t forget all the NEC code around cat 3-5, cable TV, FCC required prewire telephone for new construction, HVAC control systems, and other low voltage items like home entertainment and alarm systems.

Smoke alarms that are hardwired have some standards that a just plain fun. In our town they must have battery backup.

If you don’t have it you do not meet the min housing standards! – Now if it was only enforced. Like an HI is going to call city hall but if we put it in our report that this house does not meet min. housing standards it does wake people up.

Yes, I understand that NEC code for low voltage is outside our scope but perhaps we should revise this part. The NEC has for many years – at one time it was outside of their scope - Anyone remember when this change?

rlb

rlb