Electrical Safety Authority

Jeffrey

I’m sorry I will not respond to post by ‘BARF’ the guy is an idiot.Any way in Ontario we can not inspect panel if it is energized.In fact it is illegal to work on live electrical systems [rule 2-305] of the Ontario electrical safety code.
It basically means we have to turn main breaker off and than open panel.

Regardless of our SOP, we are bound by the laws of our state or province. Second only to personal safety (IMHO).

If removing a panel cover is deemed to be potentially unsafe or illegal, there’s no reason to give it a second thought.

Jeff
I am curious about how people working as HIs deal with the OSHA regulations of safety while working with enegized equipment?
This is simply a question, I am not writing here to make people look bad.
What kind of training does NACHI give to help the HI deal with this part of your inspection process? IF not NACHI, does one get this type of training elsewhere?

Pierre, each HI has his/her own set of protocols, depending on expertise and level of comfort. I know one HI here who does not remove the dead front on a service panel. He opens the door to expose the breakers and checks for proper labelling only. He then uses an infra-red thermometer. I asked what is “too hot”–he said if it is considerably warmer than the others. And “then what?” says I–he said he calls for an electrician.

O.K. by me…:roll: :roll:

If the service is fuses he disclaims the whole shebang and recommends an electrician.

(He also uses a checklist report…)[more:roll: :roll: ]

For Ontario,Canada …www.eusa.on.ca they have training available.And NACHI has an electrical course on-line you should check it out it’s very well put together,very informative and the best part it’s FREE!!

The course is not free. I just signed up to see it and can only view the first page.
I guess it cost $300 a year to take the course.
Oh well. :frowning:

yOU KNOW SPEEDY YOU ARE RIGHT IT COST $300 WELL ACTUALLY $289 THAT’S LESS THAN HAVING A COFFEE A DAY AT YOUR FAVOURITE COFFEE SHOP.THE POINT IS THERE IS SO MUCH MORE, CHECK OUT MEMBER BENIFITS!!

Those responses make sense, but they also make me a little nervous. I inspect “permitted” work every day, by “license holders”. Some of their men are not properly trained - that will keep inspectors in business for awhile at least.

There are also a tremendous amount of people out there today performing what they call electrical work. Their skills are minimum if not less. This is what scares me. A HI opens a panel and results in an injury, one that could be a career ender. Hence the proper equipment (PPE) while performing this work is what I would like to see as part of your training. The percentage of the accidents is small, but do we really want to see anyone hurt.

P.S. sometimes the use of PPE can be used as a marketing ploy (tool). The customer sees your professionalism and is impressed… they pass the word on to other prospective customers.

I spoke with an EC today, who had one of his men experience a serious accident on the job 2 weeks ago. The EC was still visibly upset today. So the accidents do not just affect the worker, but all people around him/her as well.

Been there done that.

Electrical training can not all be books - class room - or Internet. You better have some OJT - lab work - etc. even if it is on your own panel.

If you are doing an inspection and have never pulled a hot panel cover in your life – the sweat on your *** SHOULD show your client that you are an ***

If you want to do it by your self on your own panel - OK - you can learn but bring along someone that can turn you off if you light up

You should know the risks and the right way of doing this type of inspection or don’t do it

There in no certification or law that is out their that will tell you are ready do do this on your own other that you yourself. It is like flying – you know before your instructor. If you are not ready regardless of what they say you do not take off

Remember it is your life

Been there and done that – and lived – no problem – duck soup

rlb

If was considering H-I as an added career there would be no question.

BTW- Who is that in your avatar? Is that Jacques?****

Sorry Pierre, I’ve been out for a while.

As far as I know, NACHI has no electrical safety training available, however, Paul my be better qualified to answer that.

I “out-sourced” my own training and instruction. When I began as an HI, electrical matters was my weakest area, and I have always had a deep respect for (fear of) the power of electricity (my father was a lineman for SCE when I was very young, and I watched as one of his friends/co-workers took a fatal hit from a transformer).

As for OSHA, I can’t answer that either. They have jurisdiction over “employees,” not owners (which most HI’s are). Only the multi-inspector firms answer to OSHA and Worker Compensation Laws.

Being in the construction industry pretty much my entire life, I can tell you, OSHA (formerly CAL-OSHA) is not really proactive. You will rarely see them until after there has been an accident.

IMHO, removing panel covers is a dangerous part of our profession second only to transitioning from roof to ladder.

Jeff and others

Taking it off is no big deal – Just know what you are doing

The real fun is putting it back on

Put on your safety glasses – do not stand in water – Where good electrician gloves if you can afford them – test the glove as per MFG instructions

And TRANE

Replacing the covers is LESS risky if you ask me. By then, you can see what you’re up against.

Jeff

Good point

rlb

Pierre and others,

I can only speak for myself and the other electrical trainer within NACHi when I say that we all address safety of the inspector and their clients first last and allways. for myself I can tell you that at a minimum 1/2 hour of any electrical courses that I give are based in safety issues.

I know that Joe Tedesco and Paul Abernathy do the same.

Regards

Gerry

Gerry

Sometime you and I are not on the same page and this is an area that we are not — It is not the 1/2 of training that is the issue – that is OK

It is someone working on a hot panel when they have never done it before

It is a mental thing – BTW I would like to see someone publish instructions to take off and the put on of a panel cover that is over a hot panel

Most of us do it with no problem but try putting it into words

Go for it Gerry

rlb

Membership cost, the electrical test and others are free, along with all the other benefits that NACHI has to offer.

Don’t knock something just because you can’t satisfy your curiosity.:smiley:

I was NOT knocking anything.
It was stated that the course was free. I signed up and was limited to one page. You need to be a member.
The $300 cost (per year) is totally not justified if one is not in the H-I trade, which I am not.
I do not need the course. You are totally correct, I was simply curious.
Sorry if this offends anyone.

FWIW

Ontario Regulation 627/05 made under the Occupational Health and Safety Act became effective in April, 2006. The regulation allows only licensed electricians to work on exposed energized electrical components, and when doing so they require approved protective clothing and equipment to reduce the risk from arc-flash or shock.

This regulation was not specifically targeted at home inspectors, but rather attempts to reduce related accidents and
improper electrical installations conducted by unqualified individuals.

But should an inspector damage or resulting damage from removal of cover and the Ministry of Labour finds out you are not wearing protective clothing or not licenced you may be prosecuted and fined.

Speedy

This was my mistake.I take things like the electrical, roofing course that NACHI offers for granted.It’s free for members,along with other benefits,but I don’t have to tell you about benefits I’m sure you have toured our entire web site.Speedy it sounds to me that you are a closet home inspector wanting to come out!!! This is a great opportunity for you.To be you’re own boss not work as an electrician for someone else.Think about it you will not have to take the electrical course you are qualified allready,but you will however have to take all other courses.

P.S.I don’t know who is in picture it could be Jacques.I do know it is in Montreal I drove the track in my “Van”