Electrical wiring not secured

I did a pre-drywall inspection a couple days ago, and called out the lack of securing of the romex all throughout the attic. It was thrown in pretty sloppy, and no staples or running boards anywhere.

The builder came back to the buyer, and said that all the electrical passed city and county inspections. (just cuz it passed doesnt make it right)
I know that is a common excuse, but we all know the county inspectors are only in there for a few minutes, and I seriously doubt he had a ladder.

Curious what others would do here. As an inspector, is this an issue you would play hardball with? Obviously I cant force them to do anything, but how much of a safety concern do you consider this to actually be? At this point, they may already be installing drywall too.

This is the only code I could find to support, but isnt there another one that states attic specifically, other than where it is within range of an attic ladder?

• 334.30 states “Nonmetallic-sheathed cable shall be supported and secured by staples, cable ties listed and identified for securement and support, or straps, hangers, or similar fittings designed and installed so as not to damage the cable, at intervals not exceeding 1.4 m (4–1/2 ft) and within 300 mm (12 in.) of every cable entry into enclosures such as outlet boxes, junction boxes, cabinets of fittings. The cable length between the cable entry and the closest cable support shall not exceed 450 mm (18 in.). Flat cables shall not be stapled on edge. Sections of cable protected from physical damage by raceway shall not be required to be secured within raceway.”

Pretty sloppy work but I would not be overly concerned
Cheers

5 Likes

Do your job, which is to observe, document and report to your client.

As I have said so many times, the buyer holds all power above anyone.
They have the option of signing the check at the close of escrow. This is all that matters.

Why would you even consider taking on anyone over this? The only thing that should concern you, is what you put in the inspection report.

It’s definitely a workmanship issue. Several times a month I apprentice with my brother in law doing insurance work. He would send me packing if I did work like that. The experience has made me a better inspector.

They don’t always have the time or resources so most electrical code inspectors have their pet peeves and other issues they don’t consider as important. Most of the work you see will be covered in insulation or drywall anyway. What I’d be looking for are things like cables that are subject to damage from drywall screws, cables not securely fastened at wall boxes, boxes exceeding fill rate and fire blocked penetrations.

2 Likes

Well, why do you think the requirement exists? There lies the answer IMO.

1 Like

200 (2)

3 Likes

Yes, that is basically all I told her. My job is to point things out, so that she can put pressure on him. I wasnt going to argue with him about it. But I did present the code since he brought it up. It was incredibly sloppy work.
I was just basically wondering how elevated others would make this. Because obviously the way I react will directly influence the way that she reacts.

The builder came back arguing a few things on my report, including a screen still installed at the dryer roof vent. In his email to her, he basically said there’s no way that is the dryer vent, it is probably a ventilation fan… I wish I could see his face when the roofer goes back up there to take it off!

Thats exactly where I kept coming back to. I dont think it is that big of a safety hazard, but the code is there for a reason…

As you know, nearly every home we inspect that is older than 20 years is going to have cables strung all over the attic, but I never call those out.

2 Likes

You did your job. You have already won the battle. Your client has been notified.

5 Likes

I would be picky about it near the attic access and/or around any equipment that could be serviced, for the same reasons that there should be lighting, electrical receptacle, and walkway (to help make it reasonably safe to do so).

1 Like

Is there any wiring in danger. Sloppy is one thing, But if all wiring is safe I have no problem.

3 Likes

I look mostly for the staple near the junction or outlet box. I’m mainly concerned about strain relief there.

3 Likes

What is the code?

Crap ! Guys. It will be covered with insulation anyway.
If you see some issues then call it out. Just because wiring is run helter skelter in the attic area , doesn’t mean it is an issue.
Look for the problem areas and call them out.
*You ain’t northing more than a simple home inspector.
No more or less.
It seams that everyone wants to be the Gestapo .
You ain’t.

Nailed it!

I see you guys don’t strap your ceilings down in Florida. Being in a hurricane zone, you would think it would be mandatory.

When the house blows away the ceiling goes with it…. Wiring too.

You don’t know nothing about us Georgia boy! :grinning:
Our homes and designed with perimeter protection.

1 Like

Why do you say that?

Wiring must be secured to framing every 4.5’