Electrical

Originally Posted By: Brad Myers
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hello Everyone,

I inspected a house today that a new service panel installed from 100 amp. to 200 amp. about 6 years ago. They ran 12-2 coax out of the box a few feet and tied into the existing Knob & Tube and BX. The breakers in the box appeared to be the correct size for the branch wiring. My questions are:

1. Is this an acceptable practice?

2. Why would you go to the trouble of installing a bigger box if your still going to use the the same number of circuits and the same old wire.

3. Is knob & Tube wire considered safe as long as it still has the coating.

Thanks, Brad Myers
No relation to Joe. However Joe, I think you're a pretty inelegant person.

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

Brad,

Are they getting HBO on that?

Inelegant? Hold on, I'm running for the dictionary.

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Okay. Went to dictionary.com, found out I’m inelegant also.

Joe, all this time I thought we were just @ssh*les!

Brad, have you been drinking again! Even I know splicing to knob and tube is acceptable if you do it according to code.
Coax?? You mean Romex, right? It''s not run exposed outside is it?

The sparkies are going to be all over this one.

--
Inspection Nirvana!

Originally Posted By: Brad Myers

John,

Is there somthing wrong with having a drink now and then?

I’ll bet joe’s glad that I let everyone know we’re not related icon_redface.gif

Yes I do mean romex.

Brad,

If I answer your question this thread will eventually have to be moved to the members only section or something like that. I think it depends on who is playing with the mouse at headquarters.

--
Inspection Nirvana!

Originally Posted By: Dennis Bozek

icon_eek.gif Well not only am I not as inelegant as some …I have never used “coax” to run anything electrical

Anyway, if they ran "romex" from the panel into a junction box and then spliced the k&t into the romex at the junction box, this is perfectly acceptable. If they left the junction box out of this picture....and just did a butt splice or a wirenut splice.....this is a big No No ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

It is possible someone did a load calculation on the house and determined that perhaps 100 amps was just not enough......so upgrade to 200 amps.

Somewhere either here or at Inspection News, there is a bazillion posts about the safety of k&t. I am a sparky, if you couldn't tell, and I personally feel that k&t is ok as long as it is inspected by a qualified sparky and any questionable areas are repaired or upgraded. I have been working in, on and around old houses utilizing k&t wiring since Jesus was a apprentice and I gotta tell ya...some k&t is junk and then some isn't. It depends on a lot of things but just find the thread about k&t and it will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about k&t and then some.

--
This information has been edited and reviewed for errors by your favorite resident sparky.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Brad,

Inelegant? Sorry, home boy does not own a dictionary. Even if I did it would make me feel like I was back in high school looking up the new word for the day which I hated. I would rather go through life illiterate!

And no, I don't care if people know whether we are related or not! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

John,

Whatever it means I am sure you are it time 2.

Now, back to the subject at hand. I agree with Dennis B. assessment that k & t properly installed and maintained is safe. Most of the horror stories stem from people covering them with insulation or making illegal splices on the wires. Otherwise, I advise people not to touch them as they don't afford the added protection of an outer casing should the wire insulation become damaged which would expose live wires!

It is always a good idea from our standpoint to recommend a professional evaluation by a qualified electrician so they can make the installation as safe as possible for the occupants.

Joe Myers