Splices in service panel

Originally Posted By: fbartlo
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Every now & then I run into splices in service panels, especially splicing 2 incoming circuits together in older panels that have run out of available spaces for additional fuses or breakers, or extending wires to reach the terminals in an updated panel that is much larger and/or installed lower on the wall than the former panel.

In most cases these splices are done properly, with appropriate wire connectors.

It seems to me this practice would be preferable to double-tapping a fuse or breaker terminal, but would not be advisable in an overcrowded panel, in which case the strain on the wires could pull such a splice apart eventually.

What particular codes apply to such a practice, is it a judgment call (i.e., inappropriate for "overcrowded" panels) or is it generally frowned-upon?

And of so, why, aside from cases such as I mentioned above?

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Frank,

there is nothing basically wrong with professionally done splices within a service panel, however if the splices are loose or under too much strain I would write them up, also sometimes the panel can be "overfilled" with conductors which may also be a problem.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: fbartlo

Thanks, Gerry.

That's what makes logical sense.

Originally Posted By: Thomas Ogryski

Frank,

Check out this other thread, it may be helpful

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?p=167372#167372

Originally Posted By: pabernathy

fbartlo,

Art 373-8 NEC

Enclosures for switches or overcurrent devices SHALL NOT
be used as junction boxes, auxiliary gutters, or raceways for conductors feeding through or tapping off to other switches or overcurrent devices, unless adequate space for this purpose is provided. The conductros shall not fill the wiring space at any cross section to more than 40 percent of the cross-sectional area of the space, and the conductors, splices, and taps shall not fill the wiring space at any cross section to more than 75 % of the cross-section area of that space.....

In short........it is fine to splice a circuit if for example the service was upgraded and conductors need to be extended to make it to the new OCPD locations within the panel.

Hardly ever with the cross section issue come into effect on normal service locations...which brings me to the idea of as service change where another panel is added and the old panel simply becomes a LARGE junction box...is that allowed....?

In short...Yes, removal of the inner parts turns the unit into a large junction box which will then allow it to service the need described above...just in case anyone ever needs to know that...![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)