Example of Flaking?

This roof was installed three months ago and has significant granule loss. Would this be an example of “flaking”? If so, would this be a manufacturer defect or an installer issue?

Edit: Sorry for the grainy photos. I’m not sure why they look like this on the site, they are HD when I open them on my computer.

Looks to me like mechanical damage caused by the installers!
Best I can guess without being there, and without much better photos!

6 Likes

Those photos are very grainy and its difficult to see much in detail. Were these taken by a drone?

5 Likes

As has been stated, photos aren’t the best, but ultimately at 3 months old, it really doesn’t matter, the roofer needs to come back and address it, whether it’s mechanical damage such as abrasion by foot traffic, toe boards or tools, or wonky shingles.

3 Likes

Even with the grainy photos it does not appear to be flaking. Flaking is illustrated here among others.

Mastering Roof Inspections: Asphalt Composition Shingles, Part 34 - InterNACHI®.

4 Likes

Asphalt shingles granules flaking is considered as part of the natural aging process, unless the shingles appear to be prematurely failing.
As to whether this is a manufacturing fault, I would suspect it is.

Even roughly handling bundles or book scuff damage leave tell-tail signs where as in your case the granular loss appears evident throughout. My opinion only.

1 Like

Roof is three months old…

Without better phots or physically being there, I agree with installer damage or the like.

3 Likes

Poot Photos, looks like Henrys all over the place

In my observation, looks like a manufacturer defect in the product itself. that is my opinion, however, Asphalt shingles are supposed to have a lifespan of at least 15 years. I am not a CPI yet but I’ve been around enough rehabs in my years. Just a Newbie opinion but I would write it up as a possible manufacturer defect and insist further evaluation from a pro roofing contractor.

Or, you could write what you observe. Granule loss, scuffing, surface abrasion or mechanical type damage.

You can venture into causation such as manufacturer defect but it is boxing you in a bit. In this case, there is really no benefit of doing that IMO.

3 Likes

Being a past roofer of 17 years, that is damage from the installer. most likely the toe board was installed at this row of shingles, the installers shoes on hot shingles will do this. also if they stacked the shingles at this area will also do this, Shingles get very hot and soft in hot weather. The installer needs to return and repair at no cost.

1 Like