Exterior water entry Uphill

Originally Posted By: msaari
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Help: The home is on slab with the garage also being on slab with no plumbing below or above the garage. Yet, water infiltrates the garage when it rains and appears to be going uphill. I went back to the house today to re-investigate, the entire parameter surrounding the structure is dry except for the positive grade area next to the garage, it is still moist. The neighbors property is below the positive grade and that area is dry. Has anyone a clue as to what is causing this phenomena??? I could not find any broken pipes within the home that would indicate a broken pipe, and the owners water bills are only $50.00 for three months which indicates no broken pipes. I really need help on this one. Michael, OaklandHi@comcast.net

Originally Posted By: tallen

Michael,

you pic does not work.

You need to remove the gaps between the words.

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

Micael,

Try reloading your picture and renaming it to something that has no spaces between the characters.

What's that you're holding? A giant dill pickle? ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: psabados

Michael

Leak could be on the Utility side of the meter. Did you pull the cover at the street shut-off? Water will follow the path of least resistance and could be flowing up hill following the water line.

Where's the main shut-off located at?

If you're not finding water standing in the shut-off box, most likely its an underground stream problem. Or the dwelling could have been constructed over a hollowed out rock shelf, which under the right conditions could hold a lot of water.

Paul

Originally Posted By: jpeck

msaari wrote:
water infiltrates the garage when it rains ... the entire parameter surrounding the structure is dry except for the positive grade area next to the garage, it is still moist.

First, describe what you mean by "water infiltrates the garage".

Does water enter around the exterior walls? The door? Or does water come up through the concrete floor?

Is there a gutter, downspout and discharge on the side which is still moist?

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida