Water Runs Uphill

Originally Posted By: msaari
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Picture shows where water appears to run uphill ]

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

Even though the grade slopes away from the structure, it looks like the soil is above the top of the slab. Water may leach into the structure as a result.

Where's the problem with the moisture? Your picture seems to indicate that you may see moisture intrusion a the lower portion of the interior walls.

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Is that a pool next to the Garage?

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: cmccann

I agree with John. How compact is the soil? Also soil to siding clearance should be between 4 to 6 inches.

NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

…and where did you find that giant dill pickle you’re holding?

Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

msaari wrote:
water infiltrates the garage when it rains ... the entire parameter surrounding the structure is dry except for the positive grade area next to the garage, it is still moist.

First, describe what you mean by "water infiltrates the garage".

Does water enter around the exterior walls? The door? Or does water come up through the concrete floor? (Your photo shows that the soil is HIGHER than the siding, is the water entering on that side at the floor?)

Is there a gutter, downspout and discharge on the side which is still moist? (Your photo answer the gutter and downspout question I had, except - is this the side which is still moist?)

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Michael,

Appears that you need to install a perimeter drain at this location and have it directed away from the garage and sloped into a drywell. If that garage is slab, just pull the dirt away, dig a trench deep enough for a perforated drainage pipe, add a screen on top of the perforated holes, then fill it back in with crushed stone. The water will not enter this area again.

If I were you, I'd pull that dirt away from the siding immediately, unless you want those damn termites chomping on that wet wood.
![](upload://2BVvLTPJwIG9tW02CFM65MGHMTF.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: msaari

Dear friends, thank you for you coments. however, the water is not coming up throught the concrete slab garage floor, but rather is coming in from the outside parameter of the garage. Yes, that is a pool, but is not leaking a drop. This really is a strange occurance… I cant imagine where the water is coming from. Someone mentioned a drain tile system going into a dry well? Arent drain tiles with perforated holes placed facing down? Someone please explain how drain tiles are to be properly placed… The owner of the home lives in my subdivision and has asked for my help… This one is so strange, and as luck would have it, its one of my neighbors… Help…

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Michael,

See any potential leak points?

Especially the raised grade?

[ Image: water leaking in through raised grade? ]

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Michael,

Yes![](upload://p5opi06Vte1NTOZ2aCqbwVMQKCI.gif)

The perforated holes face down towards the gravel bed in order for the water to percolate into the piping and away from this area.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Originally Posted By: rcallis

Check around the gutter, water could be going in through the facia area and running back from the overhang down the inside of the wall to the floor. This can also happen with a roof leak. Sometimes they are very hard to find.

Reggie

Originally Posted By: Michael Haley

What is that on the soffit? icon_sad.gif

Originally Posted By: Craig Shap

For starters it would be a good idea to get rid of the higher elevation soil against the slab and siding which could cuase a potencial problem of water backing up into the garage slab…The soil used around the home may be not be a compact type and retains water without it seaping into the ground. The other though is how effective are the gutters during a heavy rainfall? Is it properly pitched to the downspout?

eusa_doh.gif

CAS Atl GA.

The Hometeam Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: Robert Alexander

Hi Michael,

First thing I would do is remove the dirt next to the siding. It is recommended that you allow for 4-6 inches of clearance from siding to dirt, mulch, etc. to avoid WDO. I suspect during a bad rain, the water isn't running up hill as much as it is simply being wicked up by the siding material. Next, I would install a french drain system to move the water away from the garage.

Out of curiosity.... what is the timer and extension cord attached to? Is it a pool pump? That's's probably another code issue. Is the outlet GFCI? OK, I'm off topic ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Robert,

Thank you for repeating my response!

--
David Valley
MAB Member