Federal Pacific electrical panels

I agree totaly about the injustice.

Off topic…

My mother is having a 3 ton AC unit installed for $1,000.00 + permit fees.

The HVAC contractor is very good and he will even do a personal payment plan with her. She knows how to talk to people very well. That price includes the AC unit. No real money being made there. This job she is paying all at once. Otherwise he would want a bit more.

Times are tough around here with GM & Delphy plants closing their doors, or the threat that they will.

Just for comparison, here in Phoenix, Arizona, a friend got 3 estimates last January to upgrade an old 1962 FPE panel to a new 200 amp all-in-one style panel. Nothing real complicated, except had to put a new 12" X 24" plain junction box over the spot where the old panel was as a splice box, install a new riser mast, mount the new main panel next to the splice box. The estimates came back at $2500-2900. Woohoo!

How would you right this in your report then?

I know some electricians who will do it for $750, but the general price quote is $1000-1500 depending on the serivce and whether or not the service entry cables are also being replaced.

I always disclaim FPE panels (even those in apparantly good condition) and note that there is some concern that they are inherently unsafe (providing the link Jeff added earlier and a pro-FPE link). If I had one in my home, I would replace it.

FPE Stab-lok brand load centers are considered problematic by industry professionals due to their high failure rate, as documented by the Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC). Failure of any component within the electrical system can result in fire and/or electrocution. Further evaluation of the equipment by a state licensed electrical contractor is advised to determine its safety, integrity and performance.

"My mother is having a 3 ton AC unit installed for $1,000.00 + permit fees. "

Then your local economy must be pretty slow. I just paid $2,600 to have a 2 ton split system installed on a 2 bdrm apartment.

The cheapest panel replacements here run $800… thats for a panel only…upgrade or replace the whole service anywhere from $1200 for 100 amps to $1600 for a normal 200 amp. I’ve seen some real complicated ones go for $3,000.

And with copper prices lately, everything is going up.

My Ma had her’s changed over a couple years ago and it was $1000. It was only a change over from fuse to breaker but still it wasn’t a couple hundred. The panel you can buy at the home centers but the labor is what costs. The “pump” that did her’s didn’t bother to label any of the circuits.

Jason

I get 350 to change a 9 station IRRIGATION TIMER…it takes me about 1 hour start to finish.

You can bet an electrician makes more per hour than I do…my electrician changes FPE panels on my deal kills for 1200-1500 depending on several factors…and I am in BFE…

Yes, and things in CO are much more expensive then here in MI. (Unless you live in Oakland County, MI) A Non-New Home under 2,000 sq.ft., Majority of the areas, with a basement & 2 car garage, 3 bed 1&1/2 bath will be valued around $200,000 or less. 1,600 sq. ft. your down to $125,000. Don’t get me wrong their are areas that you will pay up to $500,000 or $750,000 for that same house, just not nearly common except in Oakland County. (Thumb Area Of MI)
:wink:

Look here for some information related to the questions you have.

http://www.codecheck.com/FPE_breakers.htm

I do not believe their was any “OFFICICAL” recall of any FPE breakers or panels. I know of the lawsuit and of the company going out of business and then selling off it’s name rights but I know of no 'OFFICIAL" recall of the product.

But alas…I could be wrong…I doubt it…But it’s possible…:wink:

Hi just wanted to let you know there are some issues with the federal pacfic use this link www.inspect-ny.com/fpe/fpepanel.htm. for more info!

Yesterdays inspection, 70 apartments in 4 buildilng, all Federal Pacific Stab-lok panels.

All comments are apriciated

Hello Everyone…

I realize this thread is about Federal Pacific panels. I call them out all the time.

But today I ran across some Federal Pacific (same logo as the panels) Electric Baseboard Heaters with FPE thermostats. Just wondering if anyone knows of any defects in Federal Pacific Baseboard heaters since the FPE panels have inherant design problems (stab lock, etc…)

Thanks!

Jeff

No, I’ve found the FPE heaters and stats to be of generally high quality. If you’ve run across some, it is safe to say that they are at or near the end of their useful life, however.

But on average a licensed electrician in this area (the Thumb) would quote you $7.50 per amp to replace a breaker panel. That meansabot $750 for 100 ammps or $1125-1500 for a 150 to 200 amp panel.

Ran across my first FPE fused sub-panel today. Is there any concern about these panels in general ?(yes, I can see the many wiring defects and will likely recommend replacement anyway). TIA