Federal Pacific panel defects

What I could find other than the non specific U.S.articles,draw your own conclusion! As an organization we should have a firm handle on what should or should not be said… I personally don’t want to give bad advice, so we need to establish something more than he said they are okay or he said they are not…just sayin! JMO

http://www.2wireelectric.com/FPE.htm

http://inspectapedia.com/fpe/FPEArticles.htm

http://www.nspower.ca/site-nsp/media/nspower/2004-04-11_AFI_CircuitB.pdf

http://www.grassroots.ca/homeowner_help_articles/circuit-breaker-warnings.php

http://www.selfhelpforums.com/showthread.php?t=1116

I want to know why anyone needs an answer to this issue.

If you have a problem with ANY electrical panel, it is right there in front of your nose.
If there is a problem and you can’t see it, it’s not a part of your job (unless you make it so).

Where in any Inspection Standard does it say we must call out “re-calls” or equipment subject to controversial information?

Anything with “Federal” or “Pacific” must now be questioned?!

If you want to make something of these issues, go buy a $5k thermal camera and $2k in adequate training and take on these issues.

What do you do? Defer the panel to an electrician (who is no more qualified to evaluate the panel as your are?). That goes a long way…

[quote=“dandersen, post:22, topic:73399”]

I want to know why anyone needs an answer to this issue.

If you have a problem with ANY electrical panel, it is right there in front of your nose.
If there is a problem and you can’t see it, it’s not a part of your job (unless you make it so).

Where in any Inspection Standard does it say we must call out “re-calls” or equipment subject to controversial information?

Exactly!! Thanks David for your input.

I was planning to stay out of this discussion as I have beat this to death, but Mr. Wood decided to pull me in for some reason :smiley: Although, I must admit, I don’t have a clue what he is saying about me with this statement.

Jarrod - since you are in Canada, I would listen to what Roy has to say on this matter. FPE Canada and FPE USA are different products. Roy is a seasoned inspector and a retired electrician. Kevin is a “nobody” and has no first-hand knowledge of anything related to FPE. He has a reputation of spreading false and misleading information and can not be considered a reliable source on any matter in which he interjects himself.

If you would like to hear my opinion on FPE USA, shoot me a private message and I’ll be glad to oblige.

I find it strange for others to say how BAD FP is.

Still approved and sold in various stores. I have a 200 amp FP in my home and I am not changing it .
I have bought a generator and will be putting a combination Tranfer switch and panel .It too is a FP.
FP is made by the same company that makes SQ D.

Listen very carefully or should I say read
That site you have quoted is a damn liar. :twisted:
I wouldn’t quote one word from that site as most is nothing but hype put on by someone with no knowledge of electrical current flow at all. No I have changed my mind. I should have said with no knowledge of anything at all.

Do your own research and quite following the blind before you end up walking off a cliff.

I did not say there is a problem with **Federal Pioneer **try reading what I did say and as for the difference Yes I already know this. As for the site it is not just this that has marked them. As for listening to Jeffrey or Roy let them speak everyone is listening.
Since I have seen the breakers fall out when removing the dead front and breakers trip by the slightest touch I stand on what I say.
No Home Inspector should open them unless they can shut the power off and like you say use your own judgement on the panel itself.

Do what you will for your own business Kevin, but you are not qualified to make this statement.

Your post is completely reckless. Shutting off the power at a panel does not render it “safe.” Many parts of the panel are still energized even when the service breaker has been turned to the off position.

This is yet another example of why any posts from Mr. Wood should be disregarded. This type of misleading information can be dangerous.

That is correct and since most of these panels have the main on them. Who is the only one to do it?
Stop now Jeffrey!!!

I did not say there is a problem with **Federal Pioneer **try reading what I did say and as for the difference Yes I already know this. As for the site it is not just this that has marked them. As for listening to Jeffrey or Roy let them speak everyone is listening.
Since I have seen the breakers fall out when removing the dead front and breakers trip by the slightest touch I stand on what I say.(Looks to me like you are saying there is a problem )
No Home Inspector should open them unless they can shut the power off and like you say use your own judgement on the panel itself.

Kevin does have some Knowledge but many of his post’s should not be made.
I and other experienced Homies can see the difference.
Unfortunately many of the newer Homies might take all of what he says as gospel.

What a shame you are Roy! There are many Home Inspectors that have experienced this same problem. Like I said I don’t care who you are they still need to be evaluated by an Electrician.
I will not fan your flames or Jeffreys.:mrgreen:

Exactly I agree all your Home Inspections should be evaluated by an electician .
Nice to see we agree.

Really? Is this where you want to go again?

I do not intend to (nor will I) stop calling you out on your misinformation. Especially when your posts are this reckless.

You are not qualified to be commenting on this subject.

Really?

What exactly can an electrician do in their evaluation?

Again, as you know I am not for calling in other people at additional expenses to my client or the seller.

Maybe you can answer why electricians pay me $1200 a day to inspect “their” service equipment?

Does the electrician load up the circuit breakers and test them for their ability to perform over current protection?

If you open the service panel (like you should) and one of these things that you point out (like breakers falling out) happen, maybe you have grounds to have the panel inspected by an electrician. But the walk up and see the name tag on the panel and immediately call it out, in my opinion you’re just wrong.

Go back and read your standards of practice (whatever they may be). You may find that you are required to report on significant deficiencies that you “observe” (not suspect due to inaccurate information and hearsay).

OK. Lets look at some facts and information. If you spend a few minutes reading, not just scanning, but reading, I think you will be gald you did.

This document briefly mentions 2 other topics, but the vast majority centers on FPE. The real meat starts on page 5 and specifically mentions “home inspectors telling home owners FPE panels should be replaced due to fire hazard”.

Pay close attention to the statement the committee approves on page 5. The article covers the topic well and includes case documentation. Also pay close attention to what action the UL takes.

Read document here:

http://www.cpsc.gov/library/foia/meetings/mtg08/alumwire3_18.pdf

My 2 cents to follow soon. First read.

We’ve gone over this document before. It is a “meeting log” and nothing more. The CPSC did not change their position based on this meeting.

Like “evidence” in a court case, if you lose the case, the evidence did not pan out.

Did you earnestly read it Jeff? You have yet to ascertain what position I take.

Please, if you arent interested in the document, dont bias those who will read it. You are a highly respected professional and just your thought will almost certainly lead to their conclusion. Let them read.

Just a little light reading!:smiley:

Besides Jeff, this is not from a CPSC meeting, although the first page seems like it. Look at the 3rd page. It is actually from an Electrical Advisory Committee meeting for the State of Kentucky.

Yes, I’ve read it (although not recently) and I will keep my opinion quiet.

You are correct - I don’t know your position, but I respect your opinion and believe you are certainly qualified to argue your point either way, whether I agree with you or not.