Feeder Assembly?

Sorry for my ignorance but can someone define or explain this statement on the panel sticker for me. I’ve searched high and low to no avail except crazy industrial equipment…

It’s on the electrical panel of a modular/manufactured home just under the main breaker. At the exterior there’s another 200AMP panel with a few breakers feeding the interior panel. I do have more pics but just wanted to understand this sticker mainly…


The minimum sized conductors to that panel need to be rated for at least 100 amps.

Thanks… and yes they were. I’ve had several modular inspections but hadn’t seen that sticker before. Seems odd that it wouldn’t have to be rated for 200amp minimum since that’s the service main size? It also states “not more than… 100amps”

It is a sub-panel rated for 100 amps max! The sticker is so an idiot does not install overcurrent protection higher than the rated 100 amp panel. Your question illustrates how easy that would be to think that as acceptable.

Well, that’s why I’m here to get some positive feedback :). That sub panel certainly didn’t look to be rated for 200amp but the main breaker looked to be integral to the panel. I’m not the one who wired it, just wanted some clarification for calling it out. Keep in mind that some of us are newer at this than others and I for one really appreciate the positive input we can get from these boards.

I believe I could put 125 or 150 conductor wires there for example BUT my “over-current” protection should NOT be over 100amp (breaker or fuse, etc)

To me it just seems like something is wrong. Why have a sticker (a type of which I have never seen before) limiting the panel feeder to 100 amps when the main CB is 200 amps unless someone field installed a 200 CB.

Do you have a photo of the nameplate of the sub panel?

That label is fairly common on Manufactured and Modular Homes (in my area).

I think the answer, or a clue at least, lies in the HUD requirements at CFR 3280.804 L . Also see Dec-O-Art pg 7 for copies of that label.

Well, you learn something every day. That’s a new one for me. That certainly didn’t look like a manufacturer’s label and I’ve never seen one, but then I don’t inspect manufactured houses.

Thanks Michael - hope you are doing well.

And there you have it in black and white. Thanks Mike.

HUD Sticker.PNG

Excellent information, but that still doesn’t explain why the label says 100 amps when the panel OCPD is 200 amps.

Remember the Law of Parsimony…the simplest answer is probably the best answer, i.e. based on the available information, the OCPD is apparently wrong.

It seems the 200 ocpd should have a 100 amp breaker feeding tke home which would be a sub panel. The 200 amp could feed other sub panrls as needed.

I infer it to be that though the panel may be rated for up to 200 amps, the house is only certified for 100. Wny, I don’t know, because I don’t do manufactured housing, but Michael did provide an authoritative source reference.

Thanks for the responses folks! I’m glad a few others were scratching their heads too. I did call it out (of course) and there were a few other electrical issues too. My statement read something like… “blahblahblah inspector was unable to determine if panel was rated for 200AMP feeder and client should consult with and licensed electrician”.

It looked like only a 100 amp panel but the breaker looked built-in though I may be wrong on that one, shhh.

OK…think about this for a second and it will become clear…

The 200A in the remote distribution panel is simply a disconnection means. The feeders OCPD that is supplying this panel is rated for 100A and that is what the sticker is mandating.

You can have a 100A OCPD feeding a panel enclosure with a 200A Main Breaker ( or MLO if you wish) and not be a concern. I will assume it is done in accordance with 550.32(B) and 550.33(B) as stated.