Fiber mat insulation, cathedral ceiling

Looked at some classroom type buildings for a church yesterday. The buildings were built in the 60’s.

They had low slope roofs of 2:12. The roofs were standing metal seam or tar and gravel.

On the interior, they had cathedral ceilings with an exposed fiber / grass mat insulation visible from the room interiors. This fiber mat covered the under structure of the roof and extended to the eaves / fascia. Part of the original installation.

I haven’t seen this type material before and need to find out what it is. what it’s called, pro’s or con’s.
Any known problems - other than it droops and falls when the roof leaks !! :mrgreen:

I will defer to roofer, but need information for myself.
Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Ran into this product about 4 years ago when I was doing some work for another contractor. The only thing I can remember about it was that we were told that it was fireproof. And it is, because we tried to light it and it didn’t burn.

They are Tectum Panels. Google Tectum panels

Thank you,

In case others wanna get some quick info on this I’ve copied and pasted from Tectum.com:

Whether you require wall panels, ceiling panels, or an acoustical roof deck, Tectum Inc. has the right product for your noise problem. Our reputation for acoustical solutions in the commercial and institutional construction industries is well respected. With over 50 years experience in reducing noise worldwide, Tectum Inc. specializes in acoustic panels that are both abuse and impact resistant.
Easy to work with and install, Tectum panels and systems are cost effective and require little maintenance. They are available in natural, white or custom-painted finishes, and are field-paintable up to six times.
Tectum products are cementitious wood fiber acoustical panels composed of aspen wood fibers. All of our products carry a Class A/1 interior finish rating for flame and smoke. In addition, all Tectum products are “green” because they are manufactured using only renewable wood and other sustainable raw materials.

You are correct Sir.

Used that product many of times in the 70’s.

It’s uses was for roof decking and sound panels.

I used to call it Shredded Wheat panels, for when it got wet it would resemble the cereal. ha. ha.

Fire rated and good product for its time when dry.

Marcel :):smiley: