Filter question

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Never saw a metal furnace filter before. Looks like the type for stovetops. Is this correct? Blowermotor was very dirty and this didn’t appear to be very effective.

Thanks

![](upload://seIimHrnUwlY7VleUTDLSTwgxj4.jpeg)![](upload://tIt4Ydkyn2J00puhGPR4BZ4pOKF.jpeg)

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: lfranklin

I’ve seen two types washable and disposable. But as you see they never get cleaned so I guess there is really only the disposable type nachi_sarcasm.gif

Originally Posted By: rcallis

Kevin

Most of these type filters are supposed to be electrostatic, that one looks like a builders or contractors grade. They are coated with something to attract the dirt. They are to be washed about once a month. If kept clean they do a fair job.

Originally Posted By: aslimack

I believe you can hose them, cleaner side to dirty side so as not to force the dirt into the filter. I think the dishwasher as well. I always recommend following the manufacturers instructions printed on the end of the filter.

Adam

Originally Posted By: aslimack

Follow up to my last reply. I also recommend they have a temporary backup, due to the fact that they don’t want to put the filter back in wet. A cheaper paper version will suffice. You don’t have the option of not using the furnace around here in Jan., Feb., etc., while the filter is drying.

Adam