Finger joint studs

Originally Posted By: jonofrey
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Would you note on your report that finger jointed studs were used for wall construction. I can see using them on walls 10 feet or higher but it seems like poor quality construction to use them on normal 8 and 9 feet walls.

I think some people are of the opinion that finger joint studs are as good or better than solid material. To me it's scraps glued together and cheap.

Any comments?

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Finger Joint Studs, in vertical compression, shouldn’t be an issues as before being finger jointed, the stud pieces are processed to remove defective areas.

Of course, it probably also depends on the quality level of particular manufacturers.

For more information:

http://www.housingzone.com/projects/showvillage2002/lpbtw2002/woodsystems.asp

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

Thanks for the link and all of the other help Erby.

Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Pretty unusual to have finger joined studs … at least in my area. Might be a code issue for new construction that the local building official would have to address. Also consider that the wall studs also resist bending from wind loads, so if the joints are in the middle third of the stud I would take a closer look anyway.

Robert O’Connor, PE

Eagle Engineering ?

Eagle Eye Inspections ?

NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Robert,

Google up "finger joint studs". They're all over the place and fairly widely accepted by AHJ's.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: jhorton

I haven’t seen these yet except on Georgia Pacific’s web site. But I can say as a wood worker that just using plain yellow carpenters glue that most times the glue joint is not the where it breaks. The joints hold and the wood fails. I have tried it a couple times to see.

I have a feeling they are plenty strong.

--
Jeff <*\\><
The man who tells the truth doesn't have to remember what he said.